Family Of 2010 Victim Await Justice: Police Yet To File FIR

SRINAGAR: The family of Umar Qayoom Bhat, a youth who according to his father died after being tortured ruthlessly by the police in 2010, Wednesday said that the police was yet to register an FIR in the matter.

Abdul Qayoom, father of Umar Bhat said that the authorities were yet to initiate a concrete action against the culprits who were ‘roaming free’. “The court more than five times ordered Tehsildar to appear in person, but he has been ignoring the court order continuously. The involved are being elevated to the higher posts and even the police shows reluctance in filing FIR into the killing of my 17 year old son,” he said.

Qayoom mentioned further that on Friday, August 20, 2010, after prayers, the stone pelting was going on in the area and that while Umar was returning home after prayers, forces caught hold of him and he was beaten up mercilessly. “I saw that around six forces personnel were beating him up and bouncing him to the walls. They later dragged him to the nearby police post.”

Qayoom said that the condition of his son worsened during detention and that the repeated plea for his release was out rightly rejected by the police officials. “I requested them that the condition of my son was worsening and he was spitting blood from mouth but no heed was paid to my pleas.”

He further said that on the very next day he got the bail for his son’s release and immediately shifted him to hospital.   “The Doctors there, due to unknown reasons, discharged Umar from the hospital. On the next day when his condition worsened; I rushed him to the hospital again where doctors revealed that my son was “80 percent dead”. They later put him on the ventilator.

According to the reports, Umar died in the hospital on August 25, 2010 and the huge protest march against his alleged killing was taken out in the area. “More that 48 protesters were injured during his funeral procession,” said his father, adding that the authorities at that time assured him that the investigation will be initiated into the matter at the earliest.

“When no FIR was registered, after eight months, I took my plea to the court of law where from the last three years, I am fighting for justice.”

Advocate Shabir who represents Qayoom’s case in court told KNS that the executive magistrate, who had granted bail to Omer in 2010, was called by the court and that the final call has been given to him to appear in person on January 13, 2014 in the court. “We demand that the FIR under section 302 be registered against Omar’s killing.” (KNS)

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.