KHARTTOUM – Former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir and others wanted by the International Criminal Court (ICC) are to be handed over to the Hague, where he is wanted on charges of genocide and war crimes.
Hassan al-Taaishi, a member of Sudan’s ruling Sovereign Council, said on Tuesday that an agreement had been made in Juba with Darfuri rebels that will see all those wanted for war crimes handed to the ICC.
“Those who have been indicted by the ICC, they have to go there,” said Taaishi.
Bashir, who was ousted by anti-government protests in April 2019, was sentenced to two years in detention after being found guilty of corruption and receiving illegal gifts by a Sudanese court in December.
Bashir is primarily wanted over actions taken during the conflict in Darfur. The UN has said the conflict left at least 300,000 people dead and displaced 2.5 million others.
Taashai’s remarks came as a government delegation met with rebel groups in the South Sudanese capital of Juba. He said there had already been several mechanisms agreed for achieving peace in the region.
“First, all those who have been indicted by ICC should appear before the ICC,” he said. “Second, a special court be set up to investigate crimes committed in Darfur.”
Besides Bashir, other government officials such as former minister Abdul Rahim Mohamed Hussein, governor of South Kordofan state Ahmed Haroun and militia leader Ali Koushib were indicted by the ICC.
People displaced by the conflict in North Darfur state reacted to the news by saying they are preparing for what they described as “a victory of justice”.
For its part, the former ruling party and supporters of Bashir have warned of serious consequences, describing the former president’s surrender as an international deal.