New UN Rights Chief Urges Accountability In Yemen

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

UNITED NATIONS — The United Nations human rights boss Mi­chelle Bachelet has called on Saudi Arabia to hold to account the perpe­trators of deadly airstrikes on civil­ians in Yemen.

In her maiden speech to the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva Monday, the former Chilean president touched on the Saudi airstrike on a bus of children in Sa’ada last month, which left more than 50 people dead.

Bachelet urged the Saudi mili­tary to show greater transparency in their rules of engagement in Ye­men which is under an all-out inva­sion by the kingdom since 2015.

On Saturday, UN-brokered talks in Geneva collapsed after repre­sentatives of the Houthi movement were prevented by Saudi Arabia from attending the negotiations.

Yemen is under a blockade of the Saudis who refused to give per­mission to an Omani plane to land in Sana’a and take the Houthi del­egation to Geneva for peace talks.

UN envoy to Yemen Martin Griffiths told a news conference that the Houthis were “keen” to get to Geneva. “They would have liked to get here. We didn’t make condi­tions sufficiently correct to get them here,” he said.

Reports on Monday said some 84 people have been killed in Saudi air­strikes and clashes around Yemen’s strategic port city of Hudaydah since the failure of the peace talks.

The last round of Yemen peace talks held in Kuwait in 2016 in a bid to hammer out a “power-sharing” deal also fell apart after the Saudi-backed side left the venu

 


  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS