Day 32: Curfew, Protests Continue; Over 100 Injured

Srinagar: Authorities on Tuesday continued curfew and restrictions in different parts of Kashmir Valley while heavy deployment of government forces was made at restive places to foil separatist protests.
Separatists had called for women’s protest from Zuhar to Asar and men’s protest from Asar to Maghrib. Separatist leadership had also urged upon people to play Islamic and Azadi songs in mosques from Maghrib to Isha.
The women protesters organized peaceful marches in different parts of Kashmir Valley. Protest marches were organized in Dalgate and Batamaloo area of Srinagar city, Bandipora, Pampore and Pattan. 
Police dispersed a protest from women in Charsoo Awantipora when they tried to block the Srinagar-Jammu highway. A protest rally was also taken out at Balhama, Khrew and Pampore town of Pulwama district. 
All but 25 people including three policemen were wounded in violent clashes at Singhpora Pattan in North Kashmir. Reports said that protesters tried to set ablaze a police vehicle, however, government forces used pellets to disperse them resulting in the injuries of at least 25 people. Chowki Officer Mirgund and two SPO’s were also wounded during the clashes.
A massive protest was also staged by people at Yedipora Pattan where people alleged that SOG personnel barged into their houses and beat up inmates. Two people were injured there during the clashes between protesters and forces personnel. 
Reports said that in some parts of South Kashmir as well as Central Kashmir including the Civil Lines area of Srinagar city movement of light motor vehicles was observed on the roads, however, authorities as a precautionary measure had imposed restrictions in Anantnag, Shopian, Kulgam and Pulwama towns.
"Heavy deployment of government forces had been made in Srinagar city, Budgam, Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara and Handwara towns to maintain law and order." Reports however said that the restriction on the movement of people especially on government employees was not put in place and they were given free access. Business establishments, markets, public transport, educational institutions and public transport remained suspended for the 32nd consecutive day on Tuesday. Train services between Baramulla and Jammu's Bannihal town have also remained suspended for since July 9, a day after Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani was killed.
Reports from South Kashmir’s Pulwama district said that thousands of people organized a pro-freedom rally in Lelhar Kakapora area of the district. Witnesses said that thousands of people assembled at Lelhar playground and organized a massive pro-freedom rally that was addressed by number of pro-freedom rally. 
Eyewitnesses said that thousands of people participated in a pro-freedom rally that was held at Nonmai village of Kulgam district. Amid pro-freedom slogans the protesters waved green flags. The mammoth rally was addressed by Syed Ali Geelani through telephone. Geelani in his address requested people to be peaceful and urged upon them to create ‘Bait-ul-Mals’ in their respective localities. He alleged the government has let loose a reign of terror across Kashmir. He said that strike is the only potent tool available with the people. “I appeal people to follow the Resistance leadership program. I also request youth not to target hospital ambulances, doctors and common people. Those who indulge in such activities can’t be the sympathizers and supporters of this ongoing freedom struggle,” Geelani said.   
Reports from frontier district Kupwara said that the clashes between government forces and the protesters continued for the consecutive second day. The protesters were demanding action against the CRPF allegedly responsible for thrashing of some people in Lalpora Lolab area of the district.
Witnesses said that as the protesters tried to take out a march, the forces personnel lobbed tear-gas shells and resorted to aerial firing. Witnesses added that all 13 protesters were wounded in forces action. One of them injured whom police identified as Shabir Ahmed Bhat was shifted to Srinagar hospital. Residents of several localities of Kupwara including Malik Mohalla, Jamia Qadeem Mir Mohalla ,Regipora,Darzipora of Kupwara Town,Trehgam,Kralpora,Lalpora,Kalaroos and other areas alleged that Government forces ransacked residential houses and demaged the windowpanes.
Reports said that people stayed in Jamia Masjid overnight and prevented forces from even making the curfew announcement Tuesday morning.Thousands of people, including women, children and elders, took part in the protests. Forces use tear-smoke shells to disperse the agitated protesters.
In North Kashmir’s Bandipore district lawyers staged a protest demonstration outside Bandipore court complex against the civilian killings and other human rights violations in Kashmir. Lawyers denounced the use of pellet guns and killing of unarmed innocent Kashmiris. The president of the Bar Association Bandipora advocate Maqsood Bhat said that use of pellet guns is inhuman as it has left hundreds of youth blinded in the ongoing unrest. Lawyers also said that hundreds of youth who have been arrested on charges of stone pelting should be released immediately. They also demanded the revocation of controversial AFSPA which gives impunity to the forces in Kashmir.
Meanwhile, a police handout said that, “except for three incidents of stone pelting by miscreants on police deployments in Awantipora,Lalpora Kupwara and Ajas area of Bandipora District, the overall situation in the valley remained normal and under control. Although restrictions under section 144/CrPC remained in force in the Valley, curfew was imposed in some parts of Srinagar and Anantnag town only.
 The police handout said that, “a group of miscreants assembled near village Chursoo, Awantipora on National Highway and tried to block the National Highway by pelting stones on the vehicles. In order to ensure smooth flow of vehicular traffic, the Police/Security forces reached the spot and chased the miscreants away.”
“A mob of 3000 people assembled near Jamia Masjid Lalpora in Kupwara District and started stone pelting on the police/security forces.Some militants were spotted in the mob.  During dispersal of the mob two persons were injured. One of them was injured in stampede who has been referred to SKIMS Srinagar. About 70 miscreants pelted stones on police/security forces deployment at Ajas, in the jurisdiction of Police Station Sumbal. There are no reports of injury to anybody so far,” the handout added. 

60 Pellet Victims At Vessu PHC
Public Health Centre Vessu treated at least 60 injured persons on Tuesday after forces resorted to tear gas shelling in South Kashmir’s Qazigund area.
“I treated more than 60 injured persons with multiple pellet injuries,” a doctor at PHC Vessu said.
Clashes erupted in Vessu this evening after people were readying for protests after Asr prayers on the call of the united resistance leadership.
Forces had come and tried to disperse off the protestors. They used pellets and tear gas canisters in which over 70 persons were injured as the latest reports suggest.
Three of the pellet hit persons were shifted to Islamabad district hospital where from one 19 year old youth was shifted to SMHS.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.