Life remains paralysed in Kashmir,restrictions continue on Day 24

SRINAGAR: Normal life remained paralysed in Kashmir for the 24th consecutive day today as curfew continued in some parts while restrictions were in effect in rest of the Valley to maintain law and order. 

Curfew remained in force in five police station areas of the city and Anantnag town. Restrictions on assembly of four or more persons continued in entire Kashmir, a police official said. 

“Curfew is in place only in five police station areas of Srinagar city — Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safakadal and Maharajgunj,” he said. 

Normal life remained disrupted for the 24th consecutive day due to the strike call given by separatists against civilian deaths during the protests which erupted after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in an encounter with security forces on July 8. 

Shops, schools, colleges, business establishments and private offices remained closed while public transport remained off the roads in the Valley which is reeling under the violence that has left 49 persons dead and over 5,600 persons injured. 

Mobile internet services continued to remain snapped in the entire Valley where the postpaid mobile telephony services have been restored across all networks. The incoming facility on prepaid connections was also restored, but the outgoing calls are barred on such numbers.

Curfew remained in place in two districts including Kulgam, Pulwama and Imam Sahib Shopian while restrictions were imposed in Islamabad town and in parts of Srinagar to thwart any possible protests against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

A large contingent of police and paramilitary CRPF troopers were deployed to thwart any possible protests against the civilian killings in Kashmir. “Police and CRPF blocked the roads by erecting concertina and barbed wires,” witnesses said.

Meanwhile, one civilian who was admitted in SMHS hospital since July 11 succumbed to his injuries in the hospital.

However, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) South Kashmir Range, Ghulam Hassan Bhat that the civilian identified as Manzoor Ahmad, resident of Doni Pawa Islamabad was injured due to a tyre burst on July 11.

Bhat said besides rallies and minor clashes in Quimouh in late hours, the situation across South Kashmir remained peaceful.

Restrictions were imposed in Kupwara town, however, clashes erupted between youth and forces in Kalaroosa area of Kupwara district in which four persons sustained injuries and were admitted in Kupwara hospital.

The residents alleged that following the clashes between youth and forces in the area, the forces went “berserk” and smashed the windowpanes of residential houses.

Reports said that amid observing complete shutdown, hundreds of people from Shopian organised bike rally in the locality to mark a protest against the civilian killings in Kashmir.

Meanwhile, Minister for Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Law & Justice, Abdul Haq Khan was reportedly attacked with stone by the agitated youth in Tangdarh area of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district. “Locals stage protest and started pelting stone on the minister after which forces swung into action to disperse the youth,” witnesses said.

Reports of minor clashes between youth and forces were also reported from several old city areas during which forces resorted to tear smoke shells to disperse the youth.

According to a top police official, barring few minor clashes, the situation across the Valley remained peaceful.

Meanwhile, scores of youth were also seen writing pro-freedom and anti-India gariffits on walls, shop shutters and roads.

The separatist leadership including Hurriyat (G) chairman, Syed Ali Geelani, Hurriyat (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Molvi Umar Farooq and JKLF chief Muhammad Yasin Malik on July 30 in a joint statement had appealed people particularly youth to express their sentiments by writing slogans like “We want Freedom”, “Freedom for all, Freedom for Jammu Kashmir”, “Go India Go Back”, “Hum Kya Chata Hain Azadi” on roads, walls, shop shutters etc.

The leaders have been issuing protest programmes from past three weeks and had appealed people to follow the programmes strictly.

The protest programmes were issued in view of the civilian killings across Kashmir who were killed during the protests that erupted following the killing of Hizb commander, Burhan Wani in a ‘gunfight’ in Bumdoora village of Kokernag in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district on July 8.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.