634 ‘Stone-Pelters’ In Kashmir To Get Amnesty On Eid

0Shares

Srinagar: Day after Chief Minister, Mehbooba Mufti called for review of the cases of youth booked on charges of stone-pelting, the State’s Home Department Tuesday approved the withdrawal of 104 such cases involving 634 persons.

The three-member Committee constituted by the Government vide order No: 355-Home of 2016 dated: 26-06-2016, in its recommendations submitted to the Chief Minister, who also holds the charge of Home Department, has proposed that the cases pertaining to the period between 2008 and 2014 be segregated and recommended for withdrawal in a phased manner.

Headed by Director General of Police, the Committee comprised ADGP CID and Special Secretary Home as its members. The Committee is mandated to review the cases registered against the youth for stone-pelting during the period 2008 and 2014.

The Committee had taken up for review the cases pertaining to the period between 2008 and 2009 in the first phase and has accordingly recommended that 104 cases registered during this period involving 634 persons be withdrawn. The parents of the accused persons and the accused youth themselves, against whom the cases are to be withdrawn, shall have to give an undertaking that they will not indulge in any such activities in future.

The Committee has, however, made it clear that the persons involved in heinous crimes and offenses will be excluded from the review.

The recommendations of the Committee have been forwarded to the Police for immediate follow-up action.

Meanwhile, the Committee has sought three weeks time for review of the cases pertaining to the period between 2010 and 2014.

Pertinently, the Chief Minister while chairing a high-level meeting here on Monday regarding Reforms in J&K’s Prisons had called for expediting the process of taking a holistic review of the cases registered against the youth between 2008 and 2014 for stone-pelting. She had said that the Committee constituted for the purpose should decide on merits how many of such cases can be withdrawn to give these young boys an opportunity to begin their lives afresh and carry along as productive citizens.

Day After Arrest, 3 Juvenile Among 11 Released

Srinagar: A day after police arrested and booked eleven boys including three juveniles for attempt to murder, a court in Kupwara on Tuesday ordered their release on bail.

The development followed the intervention of Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti took who had taken a serious note of these arrests.

Three juveniles and eight other youths were arrested by police and booked under various sections of RPC including 307 (attempt to murder). The youths were allegedly involved in stone-pelting on forces in the Kupwara in wake of pro-freedom protests last week.

Chief Minister took note of these arrests, particularly of juveniles and subsequently the arrested youths were Tuesday produced in Kupwara Court. They were later released on bail. 

The juveniles include Waseem Malik of Gulshan Qasmia Colony Drugmulla, Danish Hussain Mir Peerzada and Mohammad Aslam Mir, both residents of Muqam-e-Shahwali.

Furthermore, Ghulam Mohammad Mir of Muqam-i-Shahwali, Mohammad Salam Sheikh of Brambri, Mir Aubaid of Gund Gushi, Javid Chopan of Kunanposhpora, Showkat Payer of Sohipora, Reyaz Sheikh of Kunan Poshpora, Anees Khan of Mochipora, Handwara and Faizan Malik of Kupwara were also released on bail. All these youths including juveniles were booked under FIR number 149/2016 under sections 148, 149, 336, 427, 307 and 3PD Act.

It is pertinent to mention here that Chief Minister on Monday had directed Home Department to expedite review of cases registered in stone-pelting incidents.

 “We are highly thankful to Chief Minister but we appeal her to withdraw all these charges against our sons so that they won’t face any kind of problem in near future,” the parents of the arrested youth said.

The families of these youths also thanked media for highlighting the issue. “It was only because of media that our pleas reached higher ups and the Chief Minister intervened and got our sons bailed out. We are thankful to them as well,” they added.

Meanwhile, 14 other youths who were also arrested in last month or so have also been released. With this, a total of 25 youths have been released.    

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS