Masarat Alam Re-arrested Minutes After Release


SRINAGAR: Muslim League Chairman and senior Hurriyat (G) leader Masarat Alam was Tuesday re-arrested by police in Jammu jail premises minutes after authorities released him following the Jammu and Kashmir High Court’s order.

According to Muslim League, spokesman, Masarat Alam was released by Kot Balwal jail authorities after a copy of the release order by high court was produced before them.

No sooner he was released, a police party appeared inside the jail premises and re-arrested him and took him away to some unknown destination, the spokesman said.

Terming the re-arrest of Masarat as worst kind of human rights violation, the spokesman said Jammu and Kashmir is a Police State where rule of law does not exist. While condemning the police action he said that after failing to prove allegations against Alam in the court, police are trying to hide their humiliation.

Masarat was arrested on April 17 this year allegedly for raising Pakistani flags and chanting of anti-national slogans during a rally organised by Hurriyat Conference to welcome Syed Ali Shah Geelani from New Delhi. He was shifted to Kot Balwal jail Jammu after slapped with Public Safety Act (PSA).

Police had registered a case against several separatist leaders including Bhat and Hurriyat Conference chairman Geelani for provocative activities including hoisting of Pakistani flag.

An FIR under sections 13 of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act, 120-B, 147, 341, 336, 427 RPC was registered in Budgam Police Station against Alam and other separatist leaders.

Alam was released on March 7, six days after the PDP-led government came to power. He was released after over four years of detention in connection with the 2010 summer agitation in the valley following a court order.

Alam’s release had created a furore across India and the issue had even figured in the Parliament proceedings with Prime Minister Narendra Modi making a statement on the floor of the house.

Masarat Alam was first detained under PSA on Oct 2, 1990 and released in November 1991. He was again detained under law in 1993 and was released in February 1997.

However six months later, he was picked up again, and kept in jail for three years, until May 2000.

He was detained for the fourth time in January, 2001 and released in August 2003. Alam was against detained for the fifth time and was in detention till July 2005. Since, 16 Jan 2008 he has been detained on many occasions under PSA. 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.