Relatives Ransack Hospital After Woman’s Death

SRINAGAR: Angry relatives, joined by neighbours, ransacked sub-district hospital Tral and damaged expensive equipment there after the death of a twenty-five year old pregnant woman in Lal Ded Hospital Srinagar. In another development two doctors were placed under suspension in Kupwara for alleged misbehaviour.

In Tral agitated people went on a rampage after Afshana, wife of Tariq Ahmed Bhat, died due to alleged negligence of doctors.

According to reports, Afshana was admitted in SDH Tral where her condition deteriorated after she was  given anaesthesia. Doctors then advised the family to move her immediately to Lal Ded Hospital where, after giving birth to a baby, Afshana died.

Soon after her burial, scores of Afshana’s relatives emerged in hospital and smashed its windowpanes. The agitated people damaged the expensive equipments of the hospital and beat the doctors and para-medical staff to pulp.

“Angry people made their entry into ticket hall and set the bundles of tickets on fire. They dragged the staff and hit the equipments with rods and sticks. Most of the staff ran for their lives,” one of the employees of the SDH Tral said.

Reports said, one of the protestors was injured after he hit windowpanes with his bare hands. He has been referred to SKIMS.

People after ransacking the hospital, appeared on highway and blocked the traffic. They resorted to stone pelting and damaged scores of vehicles.

“It was only after extensive damage that police appeared on spot and along with SOG and CRPF 180 and 185 Battalions cordoned off the hospital. We were taken as hostages till four in the evening. No one came forward for our help,” a staffer said.

Angry relatives alleged that the doctors did not give proper attention to Afshana at initial stage. Later, at the eleventh hour when her condition worsened,  they referred her to Srinagar hospital to wash their hands off. We want action against the doctors,” they said.

Health authorities in Tral denied these allegations saying that there was no negligence on part of doctors. They said that after doctors failed to do anything they referred the patient to Lal Ded Hospital Srinagar.

When contacted the incharge lady doctor Dr Afshan, who had given anaesthesia to the deceased, said that the patient was normal and it was only after anaesthesia that she developed some pain. “It was her first delivery so I thought it could be a normal one, however the family members agreed upon the surgery. Before I could proceed for surgery, she developed pain and I advised them to move her to Srinagar. I would welcome any probe. I have operated upon several patients and you can ask them how I treat them,” she said.

Meanwhile CNS quoting residents said that hospital condition has improved ever since Dr Afshan and her brother Dr Intikhab took charge of the hospital. “These are people friendly doctors and they take due care of patients,” one of the patients Razia Akhter told CNS.

Meanwhile, Additional Deputy Commissioner Pulwama, Muneer-ul-Islam said that they have ordered a probe in this regard. “We have ordered an inquiry into the incident and soon after the completion of probe we would take any decision,” he said.

A police official said that they are analyzing the mobile recordings and trying to identify the ‘attackers’. “We would soon arrest them once there identification is over,” he said. 

Neglected by doctors, boy lost eye sight

Meanwhile father of a 20 year old youth, who lost his vision during treatment, is suing doctors at SMHS Hospital accusing them of negligence.

According to KNS Imtiyaz Ahmad Bhat son of Abdul Gani of Rationpora Kupwara found some pain in his right eye on 21 July. Soon after his father took him in CHC hospital Kupwara where doctors admitted him under MRD No 36979. But when doctors found serious problem they referred him to SMHS hospital Srinagar on July 23.

Surprisingly Ophthalmology department of SMHS hospital instead of giving treatment referred him to GB Pant hospital where doctors were shocked to receive a patient as there is no ophthalmology department in the children hospital. Then doctors sent him back to the SMHS.

The family of the patient alleged that due to the negligence of doctors Imtiyaz lost his vision in his right eye. Angry father of Imtiyaz said that after being forced to move from pillar and post “I am left with no option other than to go for private treatment. But the expenses in private hospitals are big for a poor person like me.”

He appealed government to take strong action against the doctors by whose negligence his son lost the eye-sight. Despite several attempts, the hospital authorities could not be contacted for comments. (KNS)

Doctor Suspended For ‘Filthy’ Conduct

In another incident Female Multipurpose Health Workers (FMPHW) in Zachildara block of Handwara Saturday staged protests against a doctor who they accused of passing obscene remarks. 

Scores of FMPHW from Community Health Centres including Badarkal, Khaipora, Kumbora and Bakhhekar assembled in front of Primary Health Centre Wadipora and staged protests. Protestors alleged that one Doctor Gulzar Ahmed Parra was habitual of passing obscene remarks and every now and then the said doctor harasses them on the pretext of one or the other thing.

“We are not feeling secure in his presence. Even we are refusing to attend night duties now as his conduct is not up to the mark,” one of the workers said adding that he frequently uses abusive remarks.

The workers alleged that the said doctor physically assaulted one of their workers a few days back. 

 “When we warned them that we would approach Director Health Services, but he threatened us of dire consequences,” they said.

When contacted Dr Gulzar termed all these allegations as baseless and said that people were the best judge and ‘you can ascertain the facts from the people living in the area,” he said adding that these workers are meant fro performing multipurpose jobs. “I scold them only when they refuse to perform any job,” he said.

Director Health, Dr Saleem-ur-Rehman said that he has directed Chief Medical Officer to look into the matter. “My CMO is stationed there ascertaining the facts and it is only after proper verification that we would initiate any action,” he said.

Meanwhile Deputy Commissioner Kupwara Itrat Rafiqui took a serious note of the allegations and suspended, both Block Medical Officer Dr Idrees and Dr Gulzar. “I have ordered their immediate suspension. BMO did not act against the doctor in time and hence he was liable for the punishment along with the doctor,” he said. With Inputs From CNS

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.