Kulgam- Back to back tragedies struck a family in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district after an elderly man died on Friday morning while his house went up in flames hours later.
Tehsildar Damhal Hanjipora, Rouf Ahmad Lone said that an elderly man (house owner) died early morning on Friday after a few hours his house caught fire.
The deceased has been identified as Mohammad Ashraf Khatana son of Ali Mohd Khatan, a resident of Gujjar Basti Avil Manzgam.
Rouf said immediate relief was given to the family and he himself visited the spot along with other officials.
“As per SDRF norms we will forward the case within the shortest period of time so that family get compensation”, he said, as per news agency KNO.
He said locals played an important role in the dousing of flames and controlling fire, he said.
Asked about the cause of the fire, he said it happened probably due to a short circuit.
Meanwhile, Kulgam police in a tweet said: “Kulgam police received an information that fire broken out in the residential house at Manzgam, it was tough to reach there due to snowfall, SHO Manzgam under the close supervision of SSP Kulgam led all its efforts to recused the families & Control fire”.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.