Youth Who Went Missing 2 Weeks Back Killed In Baramulla Shootout

Two Soldiers, Cop Also Injured In Exchange Of Gunfire

Srinagar- A youth who had gone missing some two weeks back and had reportedly joined militant ranks was killed in an encounter in Kreeri area of North Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Saturday. Two soldiers and a policeman were also injured in the encounter, a police spokesman said here this evening.

In the early hours of Saturday, a joint team of police, army’s 29RR and SSB 2nd Battalion laid a siege around Wanigam Bala village of Kreeri and launched a cordon and search operation, a police spokesperson said. The search operation, he said, was launched on the specific information about the presence of a militant in the village.

During the search operation, the spokesperson said, as the joint team approached towards the suspected spot, the hiding militant fired indiscriminately upon them

“The fire was retaliated effectively leading to an encounter. In the initial exchange of fire, 2 Army jawans and a police personnel received injuries and were shifted to hospital for treatment where their condition is stable,” he said.

In the ensuing encounter, the spokesperson said the lone militant was killed and his body was retrieved from the site of the encounter.

The police identified him as Akhtar Hussain Bhat alias Abid Bhai of Jaish-e-Muhammad (JeM) from Trich village in the neighbouring district of Kupwara.

Bhat, according to police, had gone missing two weeks earlier on July 16.

According to the spokesperson, incriminating materials, arms & ammunition including 01 AK-47 Rifle, 03 AK-Magazines, 07 AK-Rounds, 01 Pouch and 01 Bag have been recovered from the site of encounter.

All the recovered materials have been taken into case records for further investigation. In this regard, a case under relevant sections of law has been registered and investigation has been initiated,” he said.

“People are requested to cooperate with Police till the area at the encounter site is completely sanitized and cleared of all the explosive materials, if any,” he added.

Two Hybrid Militants Held In Sopore: Police
Meanwhile, Police on Saturday claimed to have arrested two hybrid militants of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) from Baramulla district.

Around 5:30 pm Saturday, a joint team of police, army’s 32 RR and CRPF 92 battalion established checkpoint at Hadipora Rafiabad, a police spokesperson said Saturday.

During naka checking, he said, two suspects coming from Lorihama link road towards Hadipora tried to escape through the orchards after observing the forces carrying out searches.

The duo, he said, were chased and apprehended by security forces.

During searches, the spokesperson said two pistols and two pistol magazines with 11 rounds were recovered from their possession.
The police identified the duo as Tariq Ah Wani and Ishfaq Ah Wani, both residents of Rangreth, Srinagar.

The spokesperson said that preliminary investigation has revealed that the accused are hybrid militants of LeT and were in constant search of an opportunity to carry out strikes on security forces and civilians.

“In this FIR NO 90/2022 U/S 506/IPC 7/25 IA Act 13 ULA (P) Act registered in Police station Dangiwacha, Rafiabad Further investigation is still going on,” he added.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.