9 Year Old Girl Charred To Death In Overnight Blaze At Dal Lake

KO Photo By Abid Bhat

Srinagar- A nine year old girl was charred to death in an overnight blaze that turned the houseboat into ashes in Dal Lake.

Official sources said that a 9 year-old girl identified as Nadia Bashir, daughter of Late Bashir Ahmad Goswani was charred to death in an overnight fire incident at Ghat number 16 Dal Lake Srinagar.

Fire broke out from the Kareem Houseboat opposite Ghat number 16 Boulevard, causing extensive damage to the houseboat.

“The family members were inside the houseboat when the fire broke out”, said a family member.

“Nadia along with other family members were sleeping when the incident took place at around 12:30 a.m.”, Nadia’s parental aunt said.

“She did not wake up during the incident and was charred alive as nobody bothered to save her” she added.

The other women along with her mother were seen wailing. “She was my only daughter. What will I do without her,” Nadia’s mother said.

Police has taken cognizance of the incident and said that the cause of fire is being ascertained

Meanwhile, Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) Srinagar, Syed Hanief Balkhi along with Vice Chairman LCMA, Bashir Ahmad Friday visited Aabi Karpora, Dalgate to take firsthand appraisal about the incident. The Officers also took on the spot assessment of the damages caused due to the devastating fire incident.

Interacting with the fire sufferers, the ADC expressed sympathies with the affected families.

The administration sanctioned ex-gratia relief of ₹ 4 lakh to the next of kin of the deceased 8-year-old girl under SDRF. Essential assistance in the form of 15 blankets, 15 mattresses, 15-bed sheets and 3 kitchen sets and 3 tents, besides Rs 30,000 to all 3 affected families was also provided out of Red Cross as an interim relief.

Further, the DC also sanctioned structure-wise financial assistance of Rs 30,000 under SDRF in favor of the affected families separately under the District Red Cross fund.

Meanwhile, the District Administration has appealed to the public to follow all precautionary measures while handling electronic gadgets, LPG cylinders and other appliances being used for heating and cooking purposes to avoid such incidents.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Syed Mohammad Burhan

Syed Mohammad Burhan has Masters in Mass Communications and works as City Reporter at Kashmir Observer. He tweets @syedmohammad313

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.