Srinagar- At least 37 families were rendered homeless after their residential houses were reduced to ashes in a fire incident at Noorbagh area of the city.
Official sources said that 20 structures including 10 single-storey, nine two-storey and one three-story houses got damaged in the blaze.
Sources said that fire broke out in the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday at Gata Colony Noorbagh.
There was no loss of life, however, a few firefighters received minor injuries while dousing the flames.
Meanwhile, the official said that the cause of fire seems to be short circuit
Meanwhile, on the directions of Deputy Commissioner Srinagar, Mohammad Aijaz Asad, the Additional Deputy Commissioner (ADC) Srinagar, Dr Syed Hanief Balkhi today visited Sheikh Colony Noor Bagh area to take first hand appraisal and on the spot assessment of the damages caused due to devastating fire incident during the intervening night of Wednesday-Thursday.
The ADC who was accompanied by the Tehsildar Eidgah, Ishfaq Ahmad and other concerned Officers met the fire victims whose residential houses were completely damaged in a massive fire incident.
While interacting with the fire sufferers, the ADC expressed sympathies with them on behalf of the District Administration Srinagar. He also assured that every kind of possible support shall be provided from the District Administration for their immediate rehabilitation.
The ADC was informed that 25 residential houses comprising 37 families were gutted in the devastating fire incident in Sheikh Colony Noorbagh.
On the occasion, essential assistance in the form of 185 blankets, 111 mattresses, 111 bed sheets and 37 kitchen sets, besides Rs 185000 to 37 families was provided out of Red Cross as an interim relief to the fire victims.
Similarly, the District Administration Srinagar also provided the immediate assistance of Rs 15000, besides 15 blankets, 9 mattresses, 9 bed sheets and 3 kitchen sets to the fire victims of Rajouri Kadal area in Shaher e Khaas of the district in which one house was gutted in a fire incident on Wednesday rendering 3 families homeless.
Meanwhile, the DC has also sanctioned structure wise financial assistance of Rs 25, 47,500 in favour of 25 house owners of Noorbagh and Rs 1, 01,900 in favour of Rajouri Kadal house owners under SDRF.
Further, the District Administration has appealed to the General public to follow all precautionary measures while handling electric gadgets, LPG cylinders and other appliances being used for heating and cooking purposes to avoid such fire incidents. (KNO)
Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.