3 Militants Killed In Day-Long Shopian Encounter

KO File Photo By Abid Bhat

Srinagar- Police on Wednesday claimed to have killed three local militants of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) in a day-long firefight in south Kashmir’s Shopian district.

Police, army’s 34 RR and the personnel of CRPF 178 battalion launched a cordon and search operation (CASO) in Check Cholan village of the district on the basis of specific input suggesting presence of militants, a police spokesperson said Wednesday. The hiding militants, he said, were given repeated opportunities to surrender as their presence got ascertained.

“However they fired indiscriminately upon the joint search party which was retaliated leading to an encounter,” he said.

In the ensuing encounter, he said, three militants of Lashkar (TRF) were killed and their bodies were retrieved from the site of encounter.

The police spokesperson identified the trio as Amir Hussain Ganie of Check Cholan, Rayees Ahmed Mir of Kapran in Shopian and Haseeb Ahmad Dar of Khudwani in neighbouring Kulgam district.

As per police records, he said, all the three killed militants were categorized and were part of groups involved in several “terror” crime cases including attacks on security forces and civilian “atrocities”.

Hussain, the police spokesperson said was active since Sept last year and was involved in several cases, including an attack on police and government forces in village Rakhma on October 1, this year.

“He was also involved in luring gullible youth to join terror folds,” he said.

About Rayees, the police spokesperson said that he was active since June-2021 and was involved in several attacks on police and government forces including the one in village Rakhma. Haseeb, he said, was also involved in similar “terror” activities in the areas of Kulgam.

“Incriminating materials, arms & ammunition including 1 AK 74 rifle and 2 pistols were also recovered from their possession. All the recovered materials have been taken into case records for further investigation,” he said.

The police spokesperson also quoted IGP Kashmir as congratulating the joint teams for carrying out the operation in a professional manner without any collateral damage.

“Police have registered a case under relevant sections of law and investigation has been initiated. People are requested to cooperate with Police till the area at the encounter site is completely sanitised and cleared of all the explosive materials, if any,” he added.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.