Maloora Encounter Ends, Detained Militant Among 2 Killed

KO Photo By Abid Bhat

Srinagar: A day after his arrest, Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) commander Nadeem Abrar and a Pakistani national were killed by government forces in Maloora area of the city outskirts, police said on Tuesday.

Giving details of the incident, a police spokesman said Abrar — a top commander of LeT involved in many killings — was arrested during checking of vehicles at Parimpora on Monday and put on sustained interrogation.

The LeT commander disclosed the location where he had kept his AK-47 rifle in Maloora locality, the spokesman said.

There was a specific input about militants carrying an attack on highways. Keeping in view the seriousness of the input, few joint checkposts of JK Police and CRPF were placed along the highway, he said.

“On Parimpora naka (checkpost), a vehicle was stopped and their identity was asked. The person sitting in the back seat tried to open his bag and took out a grenade. The police party swiftly swung into action and grabbed the person sitting at the back seat. Both the driver and the person sitting at the back seat were taken into police custody. After taking off his mask, it was identified that he was militant Abrar, a top LeT commander,” the spokesman said.

He said a pistol and some hand grenades were recovered from Abrar’s possession.

From there, Abrar was taken to the house to recover the weapon (AK 47 rifle) after cordoning off the suspect’s house, the spokesman said, adding that the party was entering the house when one of his associates, a Pakistani militant hiding inside the premises, fired at the party.

In the initial round of fire, 3 CRPF personnel, including an Assistant Commandant Satender Kumar of CRPF 21 battalion was injured and Abrar accompanying the search party also got wounded, the spokesman said.

The force was strengthened and they retaliated with heavy firing, he said.

“In the ensuing gunfire, the foreign militant who fired from inside the house got neutralised and Abrar also got killed. Two AK-47 rifles along with ammunition were recovered from the site,” he added.

The spokesman said Abrar was involved in several killings of forces personnel.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.