Encounter Rages On In Srinagar Outskirts


Traffic Diverted On Srinagar-Baramulla Highway

Srinagar: An encounter broke out between militants and government forces in the Lawaypora area of the city outskirts on Tuesday evening prompting the authorities to divert traffic on the busy Srinagar-Baramulla highway.

Police, army’s 2 RR and CRPF launched a joint cordon-and-search operation in Lawaypora Hokarsar area of the city outskirts on Tuesday evening amid specific information about the presence of the militants, news agency GNS reported.

As the joint team started advancing, the report said, the hiding militants fired upon them in a bid to escape from their dragnet. The joint team, reports said, returned the fire setting off an encounter.

“Essential traffic coming from Baramulla, Sopore, Gulmarg towards Srinagar is diverted via Magam- Budgam to Srinagar and vice versa in view of a security situation, inconvenience is regretted,” police said in a tweet.

Injured CRPF Officer Dies

An Assistant Sub Inspector of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) died at a hospital here on Tuesday, six days after suffering grave injuries in a grenade attack in central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.

ASI Nitra Pal Singh succumbed to the injuries at SKIMS Soura, taking the death toll in last Wednesday’s grenade attack to two, officials said Tuesday. Earlier on December 24, a constable MritunJoy succumbed to the wounds at the tertiary care hospital here.

Besides the two slain CRPF men, four others, including a policeman and an RDD official were injured when suspected militants lobbed a grenade towards the joint team of CRPF and police in Tawheed Chowk area of Ganderbal town on Wednesday last.

Missing SPO Held With Rifle

A week after going missing in Kulgam, a Special Police Officer (SPO) was arrested along with an AK-47 rifle in south Kashmir district on Tuesday.

SPO Zakir Ahmad Malik (No. 967/K) son of Mohammad Sikinder Malik of Hangir was arrested along with the rifle, one magazine and 24 rounds, news agency GNS reported Tuesday.

He had deserted along with an AK weapon, one magazine and 30 rounds from police station Frisal on 22 December.

A senior police officer confirmed the arrest and said that further investigations are underway.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



KO Web Desk

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.