Jammu: A woman was injured as India and Pakistan troops traded gunfire for the second consecutive day Friday along the Line of Control (LoC) in Bandipora and Poonch districts of Jammu and Kashmir.
Officials said Friday that Pakistan army continued ceasefire violations for the second straight day by resorting to heavy firing and mortar shelling in forward areas along the LoC in Poonch district, officials said.
Indian Army retaliated befittingly to the Pakistani aggression, they added.
"At about 1630 hours today, Pakistan army initiated unprovoked ceasefire violation by firing with small arms and intense shelling with mortars along the LoC in Balakote sector," a defence spokesman said.
According to reports, a 34-year-old woman identified as Mehnaz Kouser of Sohala was injured in Pakistani firing. She was removed to the public health centre (PHC) Burthi for treatment.
Pakistan troops have violated the ceasefire agreement 31 times so far this month, officials said.
On Thursday, a soldier was injured in Pakistani firing in Balakote sector.
An army personal was killed and two others, including an officer, injured on Tuesday as Pakistani troops violated ceasefire by using heavy fire and mortar shells along the LoC in Sunderbani sector of Rajouri district, according to officials.
On September 2, a JCO was killed in ceasefire violation by Pakistani troops along the LoC in Keri sector of Rajouri.
Earlier, Pakistani troops violated the ceasefire along the LoC in Gurez sector of Bandipora district, the defence spokesman said.
The Indian Army effectively retaliated.
"Pakistan initiated an unprovoked ceasefire violation along the LoC at Kanzalwan in Gurez sector today morning by firing mortars and other weapons," defence spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said.
There were no reports of any casualties so far.
Pak Summons Indian Diplomat
Pakistan on Friday summoned a senior diplomat from the Indian High Commission here to register its protest over the alleged ceasefire violations by the Indian forces along the Line of Control (LoC).
The Foreign Office in a statement said that Indian forces resorted to "indiscriminate and unprovoked firing" in the Hotspring and Jandrot sectors on Thursday, resulting in serious injuries to 15-year-old Irum Riaz; 26-year-old Nusrat Kausar and 16-year-old Mukheel of Andrala Nar village.
The Indian forces "along the LoC and the Working Boundary (WB) have been continuously targeting civilian populated areas with artillery fire, heavy-caliber mortars and automatic weapons," it alleged.
It claimed that 18 people had died and 183 been injured in 2,280 ceasefire violations this year
The Indian side was called upon to respect the 2003 Ceasefire Understanding, investigate this and other such incidents of deliberate ceasefire violations and maintain peace along the LoC and the WB, the Foreign Office said.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.