Srinagar: The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Thursday claimed to have arrested a man accused in last year’s deadly attack on a paramilitary convoy in south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.
25-year-old Mohammad Iqbal Rather of Futlipura in Chrar-e-Shareef was arrested in the ongoing probe into last year’s IED attack in Pulwama that left 40 CRPF personnel dead, a NIA spokesperson said.
Rather, he said had facilitated the movement of Muhammad Umar Farooq, the JeM militant and a key conspirator in this case, after he sneaked into Jammu and Kashmir in April, 2018, from the highway near International border to South Kashmir.
“Farooq, along with others, had assembled the IED used in the attack. Rather had been undergoing judicial custody since September, 2018 in another Jaish-e-Mohammed related case investigated by NIA,” the spokesperson said.
“As such, he was produced by the Jail authorities before the NIA Special Court, Jammu today and was taken into 7-day NIA custody for his interrogation,” he added.
The NIA spokesperson further said that the initial examination has revealed that rather was in constant touch with Pakistan-based leadership of Jaish-e-Mohammed and was in communication with them over secure messaging applications.
“Rather was part of the ‘transportation module’ of Jaish-e-Mohammed militant organisation. With this arrest, NIA has so far arrested 06 accused persons in this case. Investigation in this case is in progress,” the NIA spokesperson added.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.