SRINAGAR – A man has been running from pillar to post from last over a week as his eight-year-old son was allegedly harassed and denied right to education by a private school in the summer capital Srinagar despite intervention by the education department.
Doon International School at HMT Srinagar has allegedly denied access to bus facility to the child after his father and a group of other parents approached authorities to get a government order on bus fee cancellation, during shutdown post August 5, implemented by the school.
Imtiyaz Ahmad Ahangar, who is the father of the minor boy, alleged that the school authorities have directed him to ‘take his kid elsewhere or be prepared to face the consequence’.
The Directorate of School Education told UNI that a probe has been initiated to ascertain the facts of the case.
Meanwhile, repeated attempts to contact to school administration to get their reaction on the issue didn’t materialise as the official of school didn’t respond to calls.
“Doon International School refused to adhere to the order issued by the Divisional Commissioner Kashmir that the school will not charge bus fee during the time educational institutes were closed in the valley,” Ahanger said.
So, he said the parents confronted the school administration, which didn’t pay any heed to the order. “After making no headway, all the parents decided to go to the Divisional Commissioner following which the school agreed to wave off the fee,” he said.
He said the school reopened on February 15, about a week earlier than the date given by the government. However, he said to his surprise, the bus driver refused to pick his child from the stop, claiming that the administration has asked him not to do so. “My son was excited to go to school, but he was very disappointed after he learned that he can’t go. I don’t know why I was singled out as all the parents spoke about the bus fee issue,” he said.
The parent alleged that when he went to the school, the administration bluntly asked him to take his kid somewhere else or face the consequence. “After that I went to Directorate of School Education and complaint about the same. The official then intervened and the school administration assured that the child will be picked up and treated well in the school,” he said.
But, he said the same thing happened the very next day, leaving his son disappointed. “Since then I have been running from pillar to post so that my son could go back to school. He calls two-three times a day to know when will he be able to go back to school,” he added.
Meanwhile, other parents alleged that the school was reopened on February 15 — one week ahead of the scheduled time — so that the bus fee of entire month could be minted out of them.
“After receiving complaint from the parent, we approached the school authority. The school has replied and the file is with the Director School Education,” Joint Director Education Department Abid told UNI.
“We had mediated between the parent and school few days back. We have to follow the procedure before reaching to any conclusion,” he added.
Responding to a question about the allegations of school once again demanding 50 per cent bus from parents during the shutdown, Abid said that he will take action if parents file a written complaint about it.
Be Part of Quality Journalism