Gunman Shoots At Jamia Students, Shouts ‘Ye Lo Azadi’

NEW DELHI – Tension spiralled in Jamia Nagar on Thursday after a man fired a pistol at a group of anti-CAA protesters, injuring a J&K student of Jamia Millia Islamia before walking away while waving the firearm above his head and shouting “Yeh lo aazadi” as the police watched the event unfolding as mute spectators.

Massive protests erupted in the area after the incident with hundreds of agitated people gathering near the university, breaking barricades and clashing with police personnel.

The man, who identified himself as “Rambhakt Gopal”, was subsequently overpowered by police and detained. He was taken into custody and was being interrogated, police said.

The entire drama, which triggered panic in the area, was captured by television cameras that showed the man in light coloured pants and a dark jacket, walking away on an empty road barricaded by police, turning around and shouting at the protesters in Hindi, “Here, take this freedom.”

The gunman went live on Facebook before the brandishing the gun. Police said they were verifying whether it is his real name.

Before the attack, the man also put out messages on Facebook stating “Shaheen Bhag Khel Khatam” (Run Shaheen, the game is over). Another message stated, “Please wrap me in saffron in my last journey with slogans of Jai Shri Ram”. His Facebook profile was deleted after screenshots of his posts were circulated widely on social media platforms.

Several students recapped how their peaceful march on Gandhi’s death anniversary became violent.

“We were moving towards the Holy Family Hospital where the police had raised barricades. Suddenly, a gun-wielding man came out and opened fire. One bullet hit my friend’s hand,” Aamna Asif, a student of economics at the university said.

She said her friend, Shadab Farooq, a mass communication student, was trying to calm the attacker but he shot at him injuring his left hand.

Farooq, who belongs to Doda region of J&K, was taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Ragibh Naushad, an LLB student at the university, said, “The Jamia Coordination Committee organised a march to pay homage to Gandhi ji on his death anniversary. It started at 12 noon from Gate number 7, but police denied the permission and stopped the march near the Holy Family hospital.

“A man named Gopal, came there and started brandishing a weapon and later shot a round. He was also chanting pro-CAA slogans.”

The incident led to panic in the area.

Khalid Hassan, a JMI alumnus, said initially many were not sure whether it was a gunshot or a tyre burst.

There was heavy police and media presence when the incident took place.

The students were heading from Jamia to Mahatma Gandhi’s memorial Rajghat. The march was stopped at the Holy Family Hospital near the university.

Chinmoy Biswal, DCP (southeast), said the students wanted to take out a march from Jamia to Rajghat but were denied permission.

“They were being repeatedly told that the protest should be carried out peacefully. We had barricaded the road just before the Holy Family hospital. Meanwhile, a person was seen in the crowd who waved something which appeared to be a weapon.”

“We have detained him and are interrogating him. One person has also been injured,” Biswal said.

HM Assures Action

Home Minister Amit Shah on Thursday said he had asked the Delhi Police Commissioner to take the strictest action over a juvenile opening fire in Jamia area and injuring a varsity student and asserted that no such incident will be tolerated.

Shah said in a tweet that he has spoken to Delhi Police Commissioner Amulya Patnaik over the matter and the guilty will not be spared.

“I have spoken to the Delhi Police Commissioner over the incident of firing in Delhi today and have given directions to take the strictest action. The Central government will not tolerate any such incident, action will be taken seriously and the guilty will not be spared,” he said.

A Jamia Millia Islamia student was injured after a man opened fire in Jamia area where anti-CAA protests were being held.

The injured Shadab Farooq, a student of the second semester of MA Mass Communication, sustained injuries in his left hand. He has been referred to the AIIMS Trauma Centre.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.