Kashmir Valley Shut for 93rd Day

File Photo: Abid Bhat / KO

SRINAGAR – Situation in Valley on Tuesday continued to reel under uncertainty, as normal life entered into 93rd day of disruption, due to the spontaneous shutdown, which commenced on 5th of August 2019, as a spontaneous reaction to abrogation of Article 370.

Meanwhile shopkeepers extended their business beyond the routine of opening up of their shops in the morning as well as evening hours.

Movement of small and medium range public transport vehicles also witnessed a considerable increase on Tuesday, while private vehicular traffic continued to show its enormous presence on city and inter-district routes, including on national highway

City roads witnessed heavy traffic jams at various bottle neck points, while traffic cops were seen present in good numbers, dealing with the traffic rush.

In addition to private vehicles, auto rickshaws and small public transport vehicles were also seen plying on Srinagar roads.

Class work in schools across the valley continued to remain suspended, while the colleges, which were ordered to open by the administration last month, wore a deserted look, with only teaching staff present, but sitting idle without any academic work.

Despite a grenade attack in busy Hari Singh High Street market on Monday, in which a non local street vendor was killed and scores were injured, street vendors continued their business in Sunday market near Polo Ground, as well as along Residency Road in large numbers. A sizable number of customers were seen, thronging these markets throughout the day.

Meanwhile after the fire incident in Batmaloo market, which broke out during the intervening night of Monday and Tuesday, in which 16 shops were gutted, shopkeepers kept their shops closed here, while the street vendors outside old Bus stand Batamaloo also preferred to suspend their business for the day.

While postpaid mobile service continued to function minus the SMS service, prepaid mobile and internet services continued to remain under suspension for 93 days at a stretch.

Train service connecting from Baramulla to Banihal also completed 93 days of suspension on Tuesday, keeping inter-district railway movement under halt for nearly three months now.

Vehicles damaged in Srinagar Petrol Bomb attack

Three cars and a scooty were damaged on Tuesday, when unidentified person hurled a grenade on moving vehicles in Baghe Ali Mardan Khan area of downtown Srinagar.

The incident occurred when amidst of a heavy vehicular movement in the area, some unidentified person appeared on the scene and hurled a petrol bomb towards moving vehicles, in which three cars bearing registration Nos. JK 01A 5158, JK 01W 6695, JK 01 K 1811 and a scooty, bearing registration No. JK 01 A 7750 suffered heavy damage.

The sound of petrol bomb blast induced panic among the people, who ran for safety. Streets, which were abuzz with heavy vehicular traffic, minutes before the attack, wore a deserted look seconds after the attack.

Police arrived on the scene immediately after the incident took place and cordoned off the area and a manhunt was launched to nab the persons, responsible for petrol bomb attack; however police no arrests were reported, connected with the incident.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.