KUPWARA Three persons including father and son were killed and two others were injured due to electrocution following a short circuit in Nard village of Karnah in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district during pre-dawn hours on Wednesday.
Police said that all the five persons were electrocuted after they tried to switch off their electric appliances in their houses.
Five persons suffered serious injuries soon after there was the short circuit at around 3:00 am at Nad village, reported news agency GNS.
All the injured were taken to SDH Tanghdar where three of them later succumbed and two others are undergoing treatment, they said.
Confirming it, Station House Officer (SHO) Tanghdar Mohammad Waseem Budoo said that there was short circuit and people rushed to plugg off electricity but were electrocuted in the process.
He confirmed the death of three persons and injuries to two others.
The officer identified the deceased trio as Abdul Qadeer (55) son of Mohammad Yaqoob Chak, Tabir Ahmad Chak (26) son of Abdul Qadeer Chak and Qari Nawaz Ali Khan (22) son of Ali Asgar Khan.
The officer identified the injured persons as Mohammad Irshad (30) son of Ali Asgar and Sakeena Begum (45) wife of Abdul Hamid Joo.
The SHO said that an FIR under RPC section 304 A has been registered against PDD for negligence.
He said that the investigations have been initiated and those responsible shall be booked as warranted under law.
Meanwhile, locals said that despite repeated requests the PDD has failed to repair low as well as high tension transmission lines which has today led to loss of precious lives.