Gunfight in North Kashmir, 2 Militants Killed in Sopore


SRINAGAR — Two local militants, affiliated with Lashker-e-Taiba, were killed in an encounter with Sopore town of north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.    

“On a credible input, a cordon and search operation was launched jointly by police and (govermment) forces in Dangerpora area of Sopore,” a police spokesman said.

During the search operation, he said, the hiding militants fired on the search party. “The fire was retaliated leading to an encounter,” he said.

In the ensuing encounter, he said, two militants were killed and the bodies were retrieved from the site of encounter.   

A police officer identified them as Asif Ahmad War of Warpora Sopore and Naseer Ahmad Mir of Braath Sopore. “Both of them were affiliated with LeT outfit,” he added. 

Incriminating material including arms and ammunition was recovered from the site of encounter, the officer said.

Meanwhile thousands of people participated in funeral prayers of the duo at their respective native villages. Reports said people from many villages participated in the funeral prayers of both slain. 

1000’s Attend Shopian Civilian’s Last Rites 

The government forces on Thursday called off the search operation as there was no militant found present at Gugloora area of Pinjura in south Kashmir’s Shopian district.

A civilian was killed and several others were injured in government forces action during a cordon-and-search operation late Wednesday evening at Gugloora. 

Locals said that government forces resorted to teargas shelling, pellets and live ammunition to disperse the protesters. Sajad Ahmad Parray son of Ali Mohd Parray of Buderhama village along with several others sustained critical injuries and were taken to district hospital Shopian.

Sajad was declared brought dead on arrival by the doctors at the hospital, they said.

Some other critically injured persons were referred to Srinagar hospital for specialized treatment, they said.

Meanwhile, the joint team of army’s 44 RR, SOG and CRPF carried searches in the village but there was no militant present following which the operation has been called off. The situation in the area was tense, local sources said.

A police officer said that operation has been called off in the area and investigations would be done to ascertain facts as regards the killing of civilian and injuries to others.

“The probe will encompass circumstances leading to use of force,” the officer added. 

Meanwhile, thousands of people participated in the funeral prayers of the civilian Sajad Ahmad Parray. There was also strike in the district with shops and other business establishments closed and traffic off the roads.    

Observer News Service

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.