1 Killed, 70 Civilians Injured During Clashes In South Kashmir


SRINAGAR — A civilian was killed and nearly seventy others were injured in government forces action in south Kashmir’s Shopian and Kulgam districts on Monday. An unspecified number of militants with the help of locals managed to escape from the encounter site in Kulgam. 

A civilian was killed and at least dozen others were injured in government forces action during clashes amid cordon-and-search operation at Gugloora area of Pinjura in Shopian district.

Reports said that a joint team of army’s 44 RR, SOG and CRPF laid a siege in the area and as soon as cordon was being strengthened, the clashes ensued as youth pelted stones at them. The joint team used tear smoke shells, pellets and live ammunition to disperse the protesters, resulting in injuries to around a dozen youth.

Among the injured, three had bullet wounds and were taken to district hospital Shopian where one among them namely Sajad Ahmad Parray son of Ali Mohammad Parray of Buderhama was declared brought dead on arrival.

A police officer also confirmed the death of the youth and said that the investigations have been launched into it. He said that the search operation is still underway in the area.

Meanwhile at least 60 persons were injured, ten of them seriously, in government forces action during clashes following a gunfight in Kulgam district of south Kashmir on Wednesday.

The government forces also called off the operation as militants have reportedly managed to escape.

The encounter ensued after a joint team of army’s 9 RR, SOG and CRPF launched a cordon-and-search operation at Tazipora area of Mahmoodpora following information about the presence of some militants.

As such the joint team of forces was zeroing on a hideout, the militants hiding inside opened fire triggering off a gunfight at around 4:00 am.

Soon people took to streets and clashed with government forces following which the police and paramilitary forces resorted to teargas shelling pellets and live ammunition in which 60 persons suffered injuries.

The injured were shifted to PHC Mahmoodpora and 15 of them were taken to district hospital Kulgam for treatment.

CMO Kulgam, Dr Fazil Kochak told GNS that 60 injured persons were received at PHC Mohammedpora and conditions of 50 of them had minor injuries.

Among the injured, 12 persons, he said have been shifted to district hospital Kulgam where from 10 of them were referred to Srinagar hospital.

The twelve injured have been identified as Nadeem Ahmad,30-years-old (pellet injury in left eye), Nawaz Ahmad Bhat, 36-years-old (pellet injury in right eye), Adnan, 17-years-old (pellet injury in left eye), Yawar Ahmad, 18-years-old (bullet injury in abdomen), Mohsin Ahmad (pellet injury on body), Basit Ahmad (pellet injury on both arms), Aqib Nazir Wagay, 18-years-old (pellet injury in left eye), Mudasir Nazir Bhat , 24-years-old (Pellet injury in left eye), Tawseef Ahmad Zargar, 20-years-old (pellet injury in right eye) and Ghulam Rasool Teeli, 28-years-old (pellet injury head and left eye).

Medical Superintendent District Hospital Kulgam Dr Muzafar Zargar also confirmed that ten injured persons have been referred to SMHS Srinagar for advanced treatment.

Those referred include Nadeem, Nawaz, Adnan, Aqib, Mudasir, Tawseef, Ghulam Rasool, and Yawar. One more person namely Umar Amin (24) son of Mohammad Amin of Kharpora Chadoora was admitted at SMHS hospital. According to reports Umar was ruthlessly beaten to pulp by the government forces.

Two others namely Mohsin and Basit are being treated in the hospital.

Meanwhile, the government called off the operation after searches for several hours and no militant body was recovered, suggesting that the militants managed to escape.

Police Version

“Today on receipt of specific information regarding presence of pakistani 9militants) in Tazipora village (PS Kulgam), a CASO was launched by 9RR, 18 Bn CRPF and Kulgam Police. During search the (militants) fired indiscrimanetly upon the search party, resulting in return of fire in self defence,” police said.

After concluding the search of the suspected houses it surfaced that militants escaped in the cover of darkness, it said.

“While the CASO was going on, riotous mobs tried to disrupt the operation, but they were dispersed with the use of force as per SOP,” it said, adding, “Seven policemen and a few civilians got injured as a result. All except two civilians have been discharged.” It also added: “The news item carried by some media groups claiming injuries to 50 to 60 civilians is baseless.”

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.