Tragacanth gum or Gond katira or Kateer in Kashmiri is the sap of the thorny shrub tragacanth, which is a thorny and low-growing shrub which is mostly found in Middle East, Iraq, and Iran and even in western Asia. Iran produces an enormous quantity of Gond Katira.
It comes from some Astragalus species, but the species which produces the best quality gum is Astragalus Gummifer which is also its botanical name. The plant is a member of abaca which is originally a pea family. This gum is odorless, tasteless, and a water-soluble mixture obtained from the sap of the plant. The gum from the plant is obtained naturally from the roots as well as from incisions made in the stem and then dried to forms crystals of flakes.
Tragacanth gum is often used in the food industry as an additive with E number as E 413. Additionally Tragacanth gum has varied uses, which is not limited to consumption and includes uses in several other industries. It is also an important part of Unani treatment due to its medicinal properties.
Health Benefits of Gond Katira/ Kateer
Several health benefits are associated with Tragacanth gum. The best part, however, is that this sap cools the body during summer and in winters, it heats up the body. Now, lets move onto the prime health benefits of gond katira.
- Treating heat stroke as the gum acts as a cooling agent. During summers, a drink can be prepared by soaking the gum in water and then making a drink out of it after it has become fluffy.Use this to prevent heatstrokes from the scorching sun. In summer season kids who suffer from the frequent nose, bleeding can also take gond katira powder to get relief from it.
- It is effective for treating constipation due to its purgative properties. If you suffer from frequent constipation try taking gum tragacanth powder daily before going to bed.
- Tragacanth gum is effective in increasing libido and also for treating sexual inadequacy or weakness in men.In addition to this, its long-term use can cure other sexual issues like erectile dysfunctioning, low semen count, and other sexual issues in men.
- This sap has anti-aging properties, which is beneficial for your skin as it delays the development of wrinkles and fine lines.It can not only delay the anti-aging process but also clear up your skin from inside.
- This gum is a part of herbal treatment for women who have small breast and wish to increase its size. It works as an effective breast enhancer. A daily dosage gum tragacanth can help women to get firm large size breasts. It does by balancing the hormonal levels. (However, for excellent results, you have to use it for a pretty long time.)
- Tragacanth gum is great for new mothers who become weak after delivery. It is said to be beneficial for both the mother and the baby. It is also an excellent remedy for the breastfeeding mothers.
- Gond Katira also has anti-allergic, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties to cure a cough.
- Gond katira has the property to increase the metabolic rate of the body. An increase in the metabolic rate would automatically help you flush out the waste from your body, increase your digestion and thus help in effective weight loss.
Other Uses: Apart from consumption, Tragacanth gum is also used in several other industries. Some of the other uses include:
- Polish for leather goods or for leather dressing.
- In textile print paste for silks and crepes.
- For hardening calico
- In ointments and creams as thickener or lubricants, in lotions for hair or hand as it increases the shelf life.
- In toothpaste as it acts as a suspending agent.
- As adhesive in the cigar to secure it.
Side Effects of Gond Kateer
Though Tragacanth gum is good for health, you must be cautious about its side effects and also restrict the consumption amount. Some of the precautions include:
Consuming sufficient water to prevent choking or blockage in the intestine. Checking for sensitivity for natural gums which can cause breathing problem.
Tragacanth Gum is an absolute remedy for various health ailments. Make sure to have plenty of oral fluids when consuming Tragacanth to avoid any side effects.