HC Notice To GoI: Ensure Treatment Of J&K Cancer Patients  


SRINAGAR — The Jammu and Kashmir High Court has issued a notice to Government of India through Secretary to Government Health and Family Welfare Department for ensuring treatment of cancer patients in the Jammu and Kashmir.

Hearing a Public Interest Litigation, a bench of Justice Ali Mohammad Magrey and Justice Tashi Rabstan passed the orders after perusing a response filed by the state functionaries, disclosing that the required steps for ensuring treatment of cancer patients has reference to release of funds by Health and Family Welfare Department, Government of India. The counsel appearing for the petitioner— Rabia Khurshid seeks impleadment of Union of India  in the array of respondents. 

“In view of the above, we deem it proper to implead Union of India through Secretary to Government Health and Family Welfare Department as party respondent,” the court said and issued notice to the government of India.  

The Notice was waived by Tahir Majeed Shamsi, the ASGI. The court ordered listing of the PIL on 07 June 2019.  For setting up the State Cancer Institute, the Government of India is paying 90 percent of the money and J&K Government the rest 10 percent.

The counsel for the petitioner submitted that about 50 cancer patients are waiting for surgeries but the cancer institute lacks operation theatres.

Earlier the court had called for a status report from authorities indicating therein the cost of construction on the new block for treatment of cancer patients, the time frame fixed for completion of construction, amount earmarked, number of operation theatres in the institute especially for surgery of cancer patients, number of therapy centres in place and number of general wards, payment wards and VIP wards in the institute.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.