India Rejects ‘Preposterous’ Pak Claim Of India Planning Another Strike

NEW DELHI / ISLAMABAD — India Sunday rejected as “irresponsible” and “preposterous” Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi’s claim that India was planning to carry out another attack on Pakistan, saying his comments were aimed at whipping up war hysteria in the region.

Qureshi told reporters in Multan that Pakistan has “reliable intelligence” that India was planning to attack Pakistan again between April 16 and 20, adding five permanent members of the UN Security Council were apprised about it.

In a statement, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Ravesh Kumar called Qureshi’s comments a “public gimmick” appearing to be “a call to Pakistan-based militants to undertake a militant attack in India”. 

“India rejects the irresponsible and preposterous statement by the foreign minister of Pakistan with a clear objective of whipping up war hysteria in the region. This public gimmick appears to be a call to Pakistan-based militants to undertake a militant attack in India,” Kumar said.

He said India reserves the right to respond “firmly and decisively” to any cross-border militant attack.

In Islamabad, the Indian Deputy High Commissioner was summoned to Pakistan Foreign office and he was issued a warning against “any misadventure” by India.

The claim by Qureshi came nearly six weeks after India’s airstrike inside Pakistan in retaliation to the Pulwama suicide attack in which 40 CRPF personnel were killed. The JeM had claimed responsibility for the attack.

On February 27, the Pakistan Air Force retaliated and downed a MiG-21 Bison jet and captured an IAF pilot, who was handed over to India on March 1. 

Kumar said it has been made clear to Pakistan that it cannot absolve itself of the responsibility of a cross-border militant attack in India. 

“No attempt at creating an alibi for its complicity in such attacks will succeed. Pakistan needs to take credible and irreversible steps against militancy operating from all territories under its control rather than making hysterical statements to obfuscate the core issue that bedevils our region: cross-border militancy,” he said.

The MEA spokesperson said Pakistan has been advised to use established diplomatic and DGMO (Director General of Military Operations) channels to share any actionable and credible intelligence it has about imminent militant attacks. 

Earlier in the day, Qureshi told a press conference in his home town of Multan that India is devising a new plan to attack Pakistan.

“A new mishap could be staged…And its purpose will be to justify their (India’s) offensive against Pakistan and to increase diplomatic pressure against Islamabad,” he alleged.

“If it happens, you can imagine the impact of the occurrence on the peace and stability of the region. According to our information, the action could be taken between 16-20 April,” Qureshi said.

He further said, “We want the international community to take notice of this irresponsible behaviour and reprimand them [India] for taking this route.” 

The tension between the two countries triggered by the Pulwama strike appeared to have eased slightly in the last couple of weeks. 

Pakistan on Friday announced that it will release 360 Indian prisoners, mostly fishermen as a “goodwill gesture”. The two countries held a meeting relating to the Kartarpur corridor last month.
 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS