Gaw Kadal Massacre: SHRC Summons SSP Over Probe Delay


SRINAGAR — Chairman State Human Rights Commission Justice (Rtd) Bilal Nazki Monday summoned the Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Srinagar in person to explain as to why there was a delay in completing the investigations into the FIR lodged in the case of Gaw Kadal massacre of January 22, 1990. The SSP is supposed to present himself on February 6, before the SHRC.

The FIR into the case is pending for completion of investigations since past 28 years. The fresh directions from the SHRC have come in response to the petition filed by the a local rights body on April 4, 2012 seeking inquiry by the SSP SHRC investigation wing.

Pertinently, a detailed reply filed by the then IGP Kashmir on August 23, 2017 regarding Gaw Kadal massacre stated that report sought reveals that a curfew was in place which was also born out from the copy of FIR but the authorities failed to identity the Magistrate deployed on the date of incident at Gaw Kadal.

The report states that while concluding the enquiry, the SHRC enquiry officer alleged serious human rights violations at the hands of “security forces.”  It states that it is important to underline that from the report submitted by SP East Zone Srinagar it becomes palpably clear that on January 22, 1990 at about 11:15 hrs, an unruly mob in defiance of curfew orders were chanting anti national slogans, pelted stones upon the army personnel deployed for law and order duties.

The report further states that some of the members of unruly mob even attempted to snatch weapons of forces which compelled army personnel to open fire in self defence due to which some people died and others sustained injuries.

Therefore, the report states that the allegations leveled by the SP SHRC JK Srinagar that there was serious human rights violation at the hands of security forces is grossly misconceived and against the facts and law.

The petitioner while mocking at the forces claim said that world is aware that over 50 innocent civilians were killed and more than 200 injured on January 21, 1990 at Gaw Kadal in BSF firing.  “When FIR was lodged, investigations were started, but the probe was left mid-way to shield the culprits,” he said and demanded a thorough investigations into all killings by police in a time-bound manner.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.