Injured In Firing At Shopian, Ganderbal Youth Battles For Life 

SRINAGAR — A youth from Nagbal, injured in alleged firing on mourners by army in Shopian yesterday, continues to battle for life at SKIMS here even as a shutdown was observed on Monday in Soura and Nagbal areas of central Kashmir’s Srinagar and Ganderbal districts.   

Medical Superintendent of SKIMS Soura, Dr Farooq Jan, said that youth—Mohammad Rafiq Parray son of Ghulam Mohammad Parray of Rangil Nagbal— continues to be on a ventilator. “There is no change in his condition and he continues to be on the ventilator,” Dr Farooq Jan said.

Mohammad Rafiq, in his late twenties, was injured when army alleged opened fire at mourners who had converged at Shopian’s Sugan, the native village of Al-Badr top commander Zeenat-ul-Islam and his associate Shakeel Ahmad Dar of chillpora village of the south Kashmir district who were killed in a gunfight in neighboring Kulgam district on last weekend.

Reports said that youth took to streets and started protests, leading a shutdown in Soura and adjoining areas. At Nagbal, the native village of Mohammad Rafiq, there was a spontaneous shutdown since morning as shopkeepers kept shutters down while movement of traffic, both private and public, through the area was thin.

In recent years, there has been trend that some youth travel from far of areas to participate in the funeral of militants, especially top commanders.

Meanwhile a complete shutdown was observed in Shopian as all shops and business establishments were closed while as public transport was off the roads in the southern Kashmir district.

A large number of people were seen visiting the graves and homes of slain Al Badr militants in Sugan village of Shopian.

Meanwhile, internet services including 2G,3G and 4G still remained barred on the second day in the district as a precautionary measure.

On Saturday, Zeenat-ul-Islam alias Dr Usman and his associate Shakeel Ahmad Dar were killed in Kathpora village in Yaripora Kulgam.

The SOG of J&K Police and the CRPF joined the army before the encounter with the hiding militants was established, officials said. There was a brief exchange of fire, leading to the killing of Zeenat-ul-Islam (30), listed in police records as category A++ militant and carried a bounty of Rs 12.5 lakh on his head.



Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.