Authorities, Medical Experts Raise Alarm Over Improper Use Of Gas, Electric Heaters

0Shares

SRINAGAR — The authorities and medical experts have raised an alarm over the improper use of electric and gas heaters after the rise in the incidents of fire and deaths due to suffocation.

With the divisional adminis­tration already having issued an advisory for the use of electric gadgets for heating purposes in the winter after many incidents of fire, medical experts have also advised people against the use of unvented gas heaters in closed spaces. While five members of a family are believed to have died last night at Bemina due to suf­focation, on December 8 two em­ployees of Mughal Darbar were found dead at outlet’s factory in Srinagar. They had died due to suffocation after leakage from a gas heater in the food outlets fac­tory at HMT in Srinagar.

The Doctors Association Kash­mir (DAK) on Saturday asked people to remain cautious in the use heating devices. “ “Use of unvented gas heaters in closed spaces can prove fatal,” said DAK President, Dr Nisar ul Hassan in a communiqué.

“Unvented gas heater is a com­monly used heating appliance dur­ing winter to keep rooms warm par­ticularly at night. It has no chimney to vent the combustion products like carbon monoxide outside the home. As a result, this toxic pollut­ant remains in the room and expo­sure to high levels of this toxin can cause carbon monoxide poisoning,” he said.

The DAK president also said that the exposure to the high quantity of carbon monoxide no only pro­duces symptoms of tiredness, short­ness of breath, headache, dizziness, nausea, muscle weakness, but can also cause death. He said carbon monoxide is a silent killer. “ You can’t see it, you can’t smell it and you can’t taste it. The individual is rendered completely helpless without feeling the harm thus becoming unconscious during sleep and ultimately leading to death. Some people are particu­larly vulnerable to carbon mon­oxide poisoning such as heart disease patients, asthmatics, children and elderly,” he said.

Nisar said the best way to prevent the problems of using an “unvented gas heater is to discontinue its use.” “Instead people should use vented gas heaters that would exhaust these combustion products to outdoors through vent pipes.

“But if people continue using unvented gas heaters, they should not use them in bedrooms, bath­rooms or confined spaces,” he said adding that these heaters should only be used in rooms with ad­equate ventilation.

“Unvented gas heaters should be used no more than four hours per day since they are meant to supplement other heating methods rather than provide the main heating source,” he said.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS