NIA Raids Businessman’s 3 Houses In Srinagar

SRINAGAR —The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Tuesday raided three residences of absconding businessman and Hizb-ul-Mujahideen supporter Nasir Safi Mir and his family at the Lal Bazar area in Srinagar in connection with a funding case, officials said. Mir, 48, is accused of funding Hurriyat leaders and believed to have fled the country after jumping bail. The case was re-registered by the NIA nearly 10 months ago.

Details of the raids were not immediately available as NIA teams, assisted by the Jammu and Kashmir Police and para-military forces, were in the process of collecting documents from the three places where the raids were conducted, the officials said.

The NIA probe is likely to ascertain how Mir alias Babul managed to secure a passport from a southern State and allegedly used it in Nepal to leave for Europe in October, 2008.

Arrest in New Delhi in 2006

resident of north Kashmir, Mir allegedly used carpet trade and later a money exchange business in Dubai for sending hawala money to separatist leaders in Kashmir. He was arrested from Lajpat Nagar by the elite Special Cell of the Delhi Police on February 3, 2006. The police seized ?55 lakh in cash and explosives from him.

During his trial, Mir managed to secure bail on a plea that his mother was ill.

Mir, who the investigators believe was based in Dubai and owns a carpet showroom and money exchange firms in the gulf, regularly reported to the nearest police station while on a bail till early October, 2008.

But after that, he failed to turn up at police stations or in court for hearings.

According to intelligence inputs, Mir reached Dubai in 2011, making a detour through countries in Europe and Libya.

Mir, against whom a non-bailable warrant was issued in 2009, travelled to Nepal from India, and then used the passport secured from a southern State to fly out, the officials said.

Mir dropped out of school in 1983 to get into the carpet business. He continued with the trade till 1990 after which he shifted to the national capital and started living in Lajpat Nagar.

In the late 1990s, he went to Dubai after his father was arrested for alleged links with militants.

Mir had told investigators that in Delhi he first opened a firm, Kashmir Master Computers, after which he set up a company, Failala, but closed it in 1998.

In 1999, he started a firm called Idekas and then opened an information technology company, he had said.

Police found that in 2002, he opened two money exchange companies, Reems Exchange and Cash Express, in Dubai. 

In 2015, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) attached ?55 lakh that had been seized from Mir.

He was subjected to extensive interrogation by central security agencies during which he allegedly spoke about his links with separatists groups and the Hizb-ul-Mujahideen.

According to the ED attachment order, the cash that was in the custody of the Special Cell was “proceeds of crime of funding and money laundering and hence stands attached”.

This was the first major action against militancy funding in the country under the stringent provisions of money laundering laws where the onus is on the accused to prove that he or she is “not guilty”.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.