South Kashmir: Police Intelligence Officer Killed In Pulwama

SRINAGAR —  A police intelligence officer was killed by suspected militants at Wahibugh in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Sunday late afternoon.

Official sources said that suspected militants intercepted the officer working with Police’s CID department.

After being intercepted, the officer identified as Imtiyaz Ahmad Mir who was travelling in his car abducted was by the gunmen and taken to a nearby Rumshi Nalla where he was latter shot dead.


Imtiyaz was posted with the CID in Srinagar’s Sheergadi.

A police officer confirmed the incident and said that the bullet- riddled body of the cop was recovered from the area.

As case has been registered and further investigation taken up in this regard.    

Meanwhile wreath laying ceremony of slain police officer was held at District Police Lines Pulwama.

Civil and police  officers led by Inspector General of Police S.P Pani laid floral wreaths and paid rich tributes to the slain police officer.

Slain officer was desperate to meet parents, shaved off beard to change look

The desperation to see his parents prompted Jammu and Kashmir Police’s sub-inspector Imtiyaz Ahmed Mir to shave off his beard and change appearance in his unsuccessful attempt to dodge militants who had laid a death trap for him in his village, his colleagues said on Sunday.

Mir, 30, was shot dead by militants at Wahibug in the Pulwama district of South Kashmir on Sunday when he was on his way home. 

Posted in the CID department, Mir had been warned against venturing into his village as there was a possibility of attack by militant groups, who have been targeting policemen in the state recently.

“I had told him that he should not go as militants could attack. But he was desperate to see his parents who reside at Sontabugh in the interiors of Pulwama district,” recalled one of his supervising officers.

This morning as he was preparing to leave for home, he came with a changed appearance. He shaved off his beard and decided to use his personal vehicle to go to his native village, the officer said.

“Now they (militants) will not be able to recognise me” were possibly his last words to his officer before he left for home with a smiling face as he was seeing his parents after a long time.

Mir is survived by his father and mother.

Son of a retired police officer, Mir, who was from 2010 batch of sub-inspector, had served in Ganderbal district of South Kashmir for five years before being transferred to Kulgam district last year. 

He was shifted to the CID department in March this year and his superiors recalled his dedication towards his work.

Militants have been targeting policemen in the state and killed two special police officer and a constable last month, triggering an unrest in the lower ranks of the force with some SPOs declaring their resignation on social media.

In fact, some militants had claimed that Mir had also submitted his resignation.

When the body of Mir was being brought to Pulwama district lines by a police team from Wahibugh, it was attacked by stone pelters as state forces had launched a cordon-and-search operations in Chewa and the area where he was shot dead.

The police have also launched a probe to ascertain how the information about his journey to home had been leaked to militant groups, who had been waiting to ambush him at Wahibugh.

Follow this link to join our WhatsApp group: Join Now

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.