UN Body Slams Saudi For Deadly Yemen Attacks

UNITED NATIONS — A United Nations body has called on Saudi Arabia to immediately halt its deadly air raids against civilians in war-torn Yemen and prosecute officials responsible for child casualties due to unlawful attacks.

The statement by the UN Com­mittee on the Rights of the Child on Thursday also said the investigative mechanism set up by the Saudi-UAE coalition to probe the bombing of a school bus in Yemen’s Sadaa in Au­gust was not credible.

The air attack, which killed 51 people, including 40 children, sparked widespread international condem­nation and calls for an independent investigation.

“We asked them to put a halt immediately to these air strikes,” Clarence Nelson, panel vice-chair, told reporters.

“Nearly 20 percent of the deaths of civilians are children. So that’s one in five civilians killed is a child under 18. That’s a lot of children,” Nelson said.

The Saudi-UAE coalition fight­ing Yemen’s Houthi rebels told the child rights panel of 18 independent experts last week that it was work­ing to correct mistaken targeting by its military alliance, but the experts expressed doubt.

At least 1,248 children had been killed and nearly the same number wounded in air attacks since March 2015, according to UN figures.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS