Missing Journo: Trump Walks Tightrope Amid Global Outrage

WASHINGTON — After Jamal Khashoggi entered Saudi Ara­bia’s consulate in Istanbul a little over a week ago and dis­appeared, leaders and media worldwide demanded the king­dom explain Turkish claims that the journalist had been killed by the Saudi government.

The US initially stayed rela­tively quiet — but pressure for a more robust response is increas­ing as lawmakers called for a probe into the 59-year-old’s fate.

A combination of Trump’s world view and his Middle East ambitions have meant the White House has been loath to criticize Saudi Arabia or Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the king­dom’s 33-year-old de facto ruler.

Trump has made clear that his administration will not make human rights overseas a priority; he and especially his son-in-law and senior adviser Jared Kushner maintain close ties to the crown prince; and Trump has long had business ties to Saudi Arabia, where he made his first foreign trip as President.

More crucially, Trump has es­tablished a trio of goals in the Mid­dle East that depend on Saudi Ara­bia’s rulers and their money. The kingdom is central to the Trump administration’s goals on Middle East peace, its effort to fight ISIS in Syria and elsewhere, and its foreign policy priority of countering Iran.

That combination of factors explains low key US responses fol­lowing aggressive Saudi foreign policy moves and the muted re­sponse to Khashoggi’s suspected assassination. They also create a dilemma for the White House, as lawmakers moved Wednesday to force a showdown over US values in foreign policy by triggering a human rights probe that could lead to sanctions.

“For this administration, get­ting into an issue like this is ab­solutely the worst-case scenario,” said Gerald Feierstein, a former ambassador to Yemen who now heads the Gulf Affairs Program at the Middle East Institute. “I’m sure they’re all wishing it would all go away. But the reaction in Wash­ington is so strong, they probably can’t get away from that, so you’ll see increasingly strong statements from the administration. … I think that they see they have no choice but to respond to this.”

Khashoggi’s disappearance also raises questions about wheth­er recent US policy toward the Sau­dis has emboldened them.

Moniz quits Saudi’s $500bn megaproject

Former US Energy Sec­retary Ernest Moniz is quitting a Saudi mega-project over the monar­chy’s possible assassination of a dissident journalist.

Moniz said Wednesday that he was suspending his role in the pro­posed city mega-project after the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Turkey.

The secretary of former Pres­ident Barack Obama had been in­vited to join an international ad­visory board for the development of NEOM, worth $500 billion.

“I share the deep concerns of many about the disappear­ance and possible assassination of Jamal Khashoggi at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul. … The recent trend in many countries of targeting journalists for do­ing their jobs is a fundamental threat to freedom of the press, human rights and the rule of law,” he said. “In particular, I have been asked to offer guid­ance on achieving zero net greenhouse gas emissions. Suc­cess with this vision will have global implications for a low-carbon future.”

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS