The humble potatoes are worlds fourth largest food crop which are widely used in culinary cultures across globe. Though it has become a staple food in several parts of the world yet most people think of potato only when they think of French fries or aloo ke parathe.
The benefits of fat, round vegetable are enormous. Potato which is found in almost every kitchen are rich source of many nutrients like vitamins A, C, B minerals, antioxidants, iron, phosphorous, dietary fibers etc and can also be used as effective and easy remedy for variety of beauty and skin care problems apart from making various recipes. Potato contains mild bleaching properties which treat hyper pigmentation and lightens the skin in long term. Potatoes contain an enzyme called catecholase which brightens skin and removes dark spots from face while Vitamin C in it boosts collagen production which helps to reduce premature ageing, prevents wrinkles, black heads and other skin related problems .
Potatoes are one of the most favourite foods and yet, are eliminated when one wants to lose weight. But, modern research has shown that the potato has such nutritional values and several benefits which does not lead to weight gain, if one pays attention to some aspects.
For example, potato cooked with the skin (in the jacket) has more nutrients and does not lead to weight gain. Also, new potatoes are said to have fewer calories and can be cooked with the skin. New potatoes are said to be more nutritious. In fact, doctors say that we should eat complex carbohydrates such as potatoes and avoid simple carbohydrates like sugar, biscuits and confectionary items.
As far as benefits are concerned, drinking potato juice is said to be the treatment for many ailments. It can also be taken in combination with other juices.
External application of potato is also recommended for many skin problems. Potatoes help to clear away skin blemishes. In fact, in the olden days, potato juice was applied on skin conditions like eczema, due to its healing effect.
Potato slices can be used to wipe the skin in rashy conditions. Potato juice can also be applied on the face. It has a skin tightening effect. In fact, potato is said to help sun-damaged skin, soothing sunburn and even removing tan. It is also known to reduce puffiness around the eyes and is most commonly used for this purpose.
Potato juice, mixed with cucumber juice, can be applied daily under the eyes. Wash off with plain water after 15 minutes. This helps to lighten under-eye dark circles and also reduces puffiness under the eyes.
Potato peels are said to darken the hair. It is also said to give attractive highlights to the hair. The potato peels should be boiled in water. Cool and strain. Then, use the water to rinse the hair after your shampoo.
Home Beauty Care with Potato:
- To delay visible ageing signs, like wrinkles, apply potato juice daily on the skin and wash it off with plain water after 20 minutes.
- Peeled potatoes can be blended and then used to gently massage the face for a few minutes. Then rinse with cool water. This helps to remove dark spots on the skin and also cleanses the skin.
- To moisturize the skin, grate the potato and mix it with the curd. Apply the paste on your face and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash well with plain water.
- Potato juice or grated potato may be applied under the eyes to reduce puffiness. Apply for 15 minutes and wash it off with plain water.
- Mix potato juice with cucumber juice and apply under the eyes to minimize dark circles and iron out tiny lines.
- For oily skin, mix potato juice with multani mitti and rose water into a paste. Apply on the face, avoiding the lips and area around eyes. Wash it off when it dries. Reduces oiliness and minimizes dark pimple marks.
- Grate potato and cucumber and mix it with ripe papaya pulp and yogurt. Apply on the face and wash it off after 20 to 30 minutes. Helps to cleanse and brighten the skin and also removes tan.
- Potato juice can be applied on rashy skin. Wash it off after 15 to 20 minutes. Thin potato slices can be applied on acne eruptions to control the condition.
- Mix potato juice with honey and apply on dark pigmented patches on the face daily. Wash it off after 20 minutes.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.