Police summons youth to stations
SRINAGAR Even though traditional Muharram processions remain banned in Srinagar, smaller ones taken out in interiors of the city are increasingly turning into sort of demonstrations against what is described here as ‘State Terrorism”.
On Tuesday thousands of people joined 7th Muharram procession, the only traditional procession allowed in the city. The procession began with the speech of senior Hurriyat Conference leader Maulana Masroor Abbas Ansari. JKLF chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik also addressed the mourners there.
The procession which was taken out from Kathi Darwaza to Hassanabad reverberated with slogans in favour of Kashmir’s freedom and in praise of resistance.
Banners invoking inspiration from Karbala for the resistance movement in Kashmir were on display and even a portrait of Burhan Wani, the Hizb commander whose killing sparked a year long mass uprising in 2016 was also carried by a group of mourners.
This despite police summons issued against dozens of youth who were involved in pro-Azadi slogans during Muharram processions earlier on Monday.
In a video that has gone viral on social media and has garnered millions of views a youth can be heard praising the 22-year-old commander and Kashmir’s Azadi movement.
In the video clip, the youth wearing a headband that has name of Imam Hussain on it can be heard saying Burhan and his group followed the footsteps of martyrs of Karbala.
Today Kashmir is Karbala. And every day is Ashura in Kashmir, the youth can be heard saying in a procession of hundreds of Shia Muslims in Khanqah-e-Maula locality.
Shaheed Burhan Wanis and his 11 companions stood against millions of Yazeedis (Referring to the government forces) following the footsteps of Imam Hussain and his companions. Our salutes to Burhan, the youth says in the one minute clip which then ends with intense pro-Azadi sloganeering.
Ever since the beginning of Muharram, Shia Muslims in Kashmir have demonstrated against the killings in Kashmir by raising pro-freedom slogans during the mourning processions, videos of which have widely been shared on social media.
Despite the video spreading like wildfire, Facebook has deleted the video from various pages and blocked accounts of people posting the video.
Reports said police has summoned youth appearing in these clips to police stations in a bid to stem the tide.