POONCH An old couple died of electrocution amid heavy rains in Surankote area of Poonch district of Jammu and Kashmir last night.
SHO Surankote Mohd Anzar Mir said that late Sunday night heavy rains occurred in the area as a result of which the couple tried to prevent the flash floods from entering inside their house.
During the process, a tree fell on a LT wire which resulted in the electrocution of the duo, SHO said.
SHO said that a police team led by him immediately reached the spot soon after receiving the information and found the couple in unconscious state.
The duo was immediately taken to near by hospital where doctors declared both of them dead, SHO said.
The officer identified the deceased as Mureed Hussain (58) and his wife Najma B (55) of Chati Bhatti, Surankote.
The bodies of the deceased were later handed over to the family for last rites after conducting all legal necessary formalities, he said. (GNS)
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.