Hizb Militants Decamp With 4 Police Rifles In Shopian


SRINAGAR — Militants of Hizb-ul-Mujahideen on Thursday barged into the guard post and decamped with four service rifles of J&K Policemen at Bonabazar Shopian in South Kashmir.

 “(militants) in the evening hours tonight barged inside a guard post at Bona Bazar in District Shopian and managed to flee with four rifles from there. Search operation is underway in the nearby areas. The circumstances leading to the incident is being ascertained,” a police spokesman said.

“Initial probe suggests complicity of proscribed terror outfit HM in the incident. Police has initiated investigations into the matter,” the spokesman added.

 5 CRPF Jawans Injured in Bijbehara Blast

Lashkar claims responsibility; 20-kg IED detected, defused In Tral  

Five CRPF personnel were injured in grenade attack on paramilitary forces’ deployment at Bijbehara in south Kashmir’s Anantnag district. Militant outfit Lashker-e-Toiba claimed the responsibility for the attack.

Reports said that a loud explosion followed by firing was heard near Goriwan area of Bijbehara.

A police officer said that some suspected militants lobbed a grenade towards the CRPF party near Goriwan.

In the blast, five CRPF men of 90 battalion, sustained splinter injuries and were taken to Sub-District hospital Bijbehara for treatment, he said.

He identified the injured as Ominder Singh, Pankaj Kumar, Nitin Kumar, B Kumar and Yoginder Singh.

Soon after the incident, the government forces launched searches in the area to nab the attackers, he said.

Meanwhile, Militant outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) has claimed responsibility for the attack on a CRPF party in Bijbehara.

 “Cadres of the outfit attacked the today lobbed a grenade on CRPF bunker at Zerpora Bijbehara. In the attack more than five CRPF men suffered injuries,” LeT spokesperson Dr Abdullah Ghanzavi said in a statement issued here to local news agencies.

Meanwhile Government forces on Thursday evening detected an IED in Tral area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

A police officer said that the patrolling party of army detected the IED alongside the road at Handura, Tral.

The Bomb Disposal Squad of police was immediately called in who later defused the device without causing any damage.

 “It was a high-intensity IED weighing about 20 kgs,” the officer said.

The officer claimed that a major tragedy has been averted by timely detection of the IED.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.