Sopore Double Murder: Family Awaits Justice For 4 Years


SOPORE — Demanding justice and stern punishment to the killers involved in double murder case, a family from Seelu area of Sopore Friday alleged that main culprit is roaming free while even after the expiry of four years, the court has not given any verdict. They said court has reserved it judgment and they are eagerly waiting for justice and killers be punished.

On June 20, 2014, two cousin of Sopore’s Naikoo family fell to the bullets after a “land dispute” broke out in their family.

While narrating the incident, Faza Begum, the mother of one of the slain man said: “The killing was executed over the land issue. The land belongs to us. But Ghulam Nabi Naikoo and his wife Saleema Begum claimed the ownership of the same land through forged documents. The culprits had managed to transfer total 9 acres of the land.”

Once the ‘fraud over land grab’ surfaced, the family of deceased persons filed suit against the culprit in the Baramulla Sessions Court.

“After the first hearing, when we came out of court, the culprit Mehraj-u-din Khan alias Raj Khan (the family relative) threatened the family of dire consequences.”

She said that before the first hearing in the court, the main land ‘fraudulent’ Ghulam Nabi Naikoo came with 30 to 40 men and barged into the house and beat inmates irrespective of their gender and age. “Many family members suffered severe injuries in that vicious attack,” she said.

Another family member Manzoor Ahmed said that shortly after the attack they lodged an FIR under section 307 in Sopore Police Station. “After taking police help, we thought we are safe now, but on the night of June 20, 2014 when we were busy in talking to each other, Raj Khan along two other men in fatigues and masked faces barged into our house and like mad men resorted to indiscriminate firing. As a result, Nazir Ahmad Naikoo died on the spot while other family members were left baldy injured. Nazir’s cousin Shabir, who was the witness in court was also severely injured and was referred to SMHS hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries the next day.”

The family members told news agency CNS that the district police authorities after few days of the incident registered a case vide FIR number 95/2014 U/S 302, 307 RPC and 7/27 Arms Act and had apprehended Raja Khan of Khan Mohalla, Mundji, Zangire Sopore from his house.

“We have been visiting courts from past four years, but, justice is still a far cry for us. All the witnesses have recorded their statements and the arguments are over. We request court to come up with verdict so that real culprit will taste justice. It’s painful to see, the real culprit roaming free,” they said. (CNS) 

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.