3 Militants Die Fighting, Boy Killed In Ensuing Clashes In Pulwama

SRINAGAR — Three militants and a teenaged boy were killed, and nine youth were injured during a gunfight between militants and government forces and ensuing clashes between protesters and Govt forces in Chatpora area of south Kashmir's Pulwama district on Friday.

SSP Pulwama Mohammad Aslam Choudhary said a joint team of army's 55 RR, SOG and CRPF launched a cordon-and-search operation following specific information about the presence of some militants at Thamuna village adjacent to Chatpora near main town Pulwama.

As the forces approached the suspected spot and fired some warning shots towards it, the militants fired upon them triggering off a firefight, SSP said.

He said that all the three militants have been killed and their identity is being ascertained. The forces blasted the house and razed it into the rubble, reports said.

16-year-old boy was also killed while nine persons were injured in government forces action during clashes near the encounter site.

The injured persons were shifted to nearby hospital where from one seriously injured boy namely Faizan Ahmad Khan Son of Dr Abdul Gani Khan of Ladoo, Khrew was referred to Srinagar hospital. However, Faizan later succumbed to his injuries, they said.  

Meanwhile, Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) chief Mehmood Shah paid tributes to the militants and civilian killed in Pulwama.   

A spokesperson of LeT Dr Abdullah Ghaznavi in a statement issued to GNS identified the slain militants as Lashkar commander Firdous Ahmad alias Abu Hanzala, Abu Mansoor Sajjad, Abu Tayyab Bilal.

“The sacrifices of martyrs will pave way for the freedom, bringing utter defeat to Indian forces. The sacrifices do not weaken the freedom struggle but intensify it,” the spokesperson quoted Mehmood Shah as saying.

The LeT chief strongly condemned the damaging of public properties and said this is done under a well-thought-out strategy by Indian forces. “This is a severe human rights violation and the worst war crime,” he said

Militant killed in Kupwara  

An unidentified militant was killed in a gunfight at forest area of Kachama in north Kashmir's Kupwara district last night.

Official sources said that a group of militants and army's search party had a stand-off late last night at the upper belt of Kachama forests known as Tunga Top.

The exchange of firing continued intermittently till pre-dawn hours today, they said.

Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Kupwara Ambarkar Shriram Dinkar also confirmed the stand-off and killing of the militant.  

3 Soldiers Injured In Grenade Blast In Shopian

Three soldiers were injured on Friday when militants attacked an Army patrol party in Shopian district of south Kashmir, police said.

Militants lobbed a grenade on a group of Army personnel when they were busy opening the Good Will Public School in Ahagam area of Keegam village in Shopian on riday morning followed by firing on Army personnel, a police spokesman said here.

He said in the incident, three Army personnel sustained injuries and were subsequently evacuated to a hospital. Their condition is stated to be stable.

He said the Army personnel exercised maximum restraint to avoid any damage to the civil population and students around.

Police have registered a case and searches to nab the militants have been initiated in the area, the spokesman said.


Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.