Army Firing Kills Protester in Kulgam

3rd Civilian Killed In 4 Days In South Kashmir; Internet Snapped

SRINAGAR — A youth was killed and another injured in firing by army in south Kashmir’s Kulgam district on Monday. This is the third civilian killing in the south Kashmir in last five days alone.  

Reports said that youth pelted an army patrol of 9 RR with stones at Akhran-Nowpora in Kulgam on Monday evening.

The army, they said, opened fire to disperse the protesters, resulting in injuries to two civilians who were later rushed to a hospital for treatment. However, one of them identified as Aijaz Ahmad son of Bashir Ahmad of Nowpora Akhran, succumbed on the way and was declared as dead on arrival at the Janglat Mandi hospital. The other injured was identified as Rayees Ahmad son of Ghulam Qadri and he was referred to Srinagar hospital for specialized treatment. Meanwhile, authorities have snapped internet services in Kulgam and Anantnag district.


A defence spokesman told a news agency PTI that details of the incident were being awaited.

On Saturday a youth was killed and twenty-two persons, including 10 cops, were injured during clashes in Anantnag town of southern Kashmir.

At least twelve youth were injured in the forces’ action and all the injured were shifted to district hospital Anantnag for treatment.

One among the injured identified as Shiraz Ahmad Naikoo of Brakpora succumbed at the hospital. Two youth hit by pellets in their eyes were referred to Srinagar for specialised treatment.

Medical Superintendent district hospital Anantnag Dr Majid Mehrab said the deceased had suffered pellet injuries in his throat and head.

On Friday, a civilian was killed and two others injured after army opened fire on protesters in Nowpora Payeen village of Pulwama district.

The firing took place after residents reportedly resisted the Army’s attempt to vandalize the property of a local militant Abid Manzoor Magray. Three persons, including a girl, were injured in the army action. One among the critically injured, Viqas Ahmad Rather (24), was declared brought dead at SMHS hospital in Srinagar.

Soura Youth Remains ‘Critical: SKIMS

A 24-year-old youth, injured in government forces’ action following clashes in Soura here on Saturday, remains “to be critical but shade better”, Medical superintendent SKIMS Soura, Dr Farooq Jan, said.

He said that the youth, Abdul Majeed War (24) son of Ghulam Nabi War of Anchar Soura, has shown signs of improvement after “drug support on ventilator was withheld.”

“He is bit better today. We have withheld the drug support and he is doing well,” Dr Jan said, adding, “He remains on the ventilator but a shade better,” Dr Jan said.     

Meanwhile, reports quoting eyewitnesses said a few youth took to streets early on Monday, leading to shut down in the area. The shopkeepers who had opened their establishments downed shutters while traffic movement between Soura and Ahmadnagar was affected. However, movement of traffic through 90-ft was going on.

War was critically injured in government forces action during clashes at Soura on Saturday. Hit with pellets from “close range”, the youth was immediately admitted to SKIMS Soura, one of the Valley’s on tertiary care hospital.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.