Honey Helps Soothe Esophageal Injuries Caused By Swallowing Batteries

0Shares

It is very common that infants and children swallow button batteries which lead to caustic esophageal injuries.

 

In such cases, honey or Carafate (a cherry-flavoured duodenal ulcer prescription), can help reduce the esophageal damage, a new study by Kris Jatana of Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Columbus, and colleagues has claimed.

 

In experiments conducted on cadavers and live animals, both honey and Carafate provided a physical barrier and neutralised the tissue pH increase associated with battery ingestion; they both reduced injury severity compared with other common household liquids, including apple juice, orange juice, sodas, sports drinks, and maple syrup.

 

“An esophageal button battery can quickly cause significant injury. We have identified protective interventions for both the household and hospital setting that can reduce injury severity,” said co-principal investigator Jatana.

 

“Our results will change the practice guidelines for how medical professionals acutely manage button battery ingestion”, concluded Jatana.

 

The study appears in the journal Laryngoscope.  

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS