Fury Over Srinagar Youth’s Mowing Down By CRPF  

0Shares

SRINAGAR — Thousands of people on Saturday protested mowing down of Kaisar Ahmad Bhat, a teenager who was mowed down by a paramilitary CRPF jeep at Nowhatta Srinagar on Friday. 

Another youth, Mohammad Younis of Dalgate, who was also trampled under the jeep along with the Kiaser, has started to respond to the treatment and is stable, medical superintendent SKIMS Dr Farooq Jan said. Kaiser succumbed to grave injuries around 12:15 a.m. midnight, Jan added.  

Eyewitnesses said thousands of people took part in the funeral prayers of Kaisar at Fateh Kadal chowk. The police and paramilitary forces, they said, fired tear gas shells into the mourners, injuring nearly ten of them.

They said the body was later loaded onto a mini truck and driven to Eidgah where thousands of people had already assembled to take part in last rites. Second round of funeral prayers was held there in which thousands participated. Pro-freedom slogans rented the air during the funeral, they added.

The government forces also resorted to massive teargas shelling after Bhat was laid to rest, triggering intense clashes between the youth and the forces.

On May 5, in a similar incident, an 18-year-old youth was run over by a police vehicle during stone throwing in Noorbagh Srinagar following a gun battle in which three militants were killed.

JKLF chairman Mohammad Yasin Malik was detained from his residence here, while Hurriyat Conference (M) chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq was placed under house arrest.

This was done as a precautionary step to prevent them from taking out protest marches after a youth, who was run over by a CRPF vehicle yesterday, died, a police official said.

Malik was detained from his Maisuma residence and taken to the Kothi Bagh police station, he said.

Mirwaiz was put under house arrest at his Nigeen residence, he added.

Hurriyat Conference leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani continues to remain under house detention, the police official said.

Internet service in Srinagar and Budgam districts was suspended as a precautionary measure, a police officer said. it was later restored.  

A police official said that the high-speed mobile data services have been barred in four districts – Anantnag, Kulgam, Pulwama and Shopian – of south Kashmir.

Mobile Internet services have been suspended in Srinagar and Budgam districts, he said.

In south Kashmir, 3G and 4G services have been barred, while 2G services were working, the official said.

He said the mobile data services have been barred as a precautionary measure. Later internet was restored.  

As reported already, police has taken lodged two cases with regard to the incidents and “have taken investigations”.

The cases include— FIR No 18/2018 u/s 307,148,149,152,336,427 RPC and FIR No 19/2018 U/s 279 (rash driving), 337 RPC.  

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.

ACT NOW
MONTHLYRs 100
YEARLYRs 1000
LIFETIMERs 10000

CLICK FOR DETAILS


Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

KO SUPPLEMENTS