If oil-companies could absorb global changes in fuel-prices for more than a fortnight before polling for recently-held Karnataka state-assembly, then it is clear that central government is lying that fuel-prices are revised on daily basis. Central government should issue a white paper that there was no change in global-prices during that politically crucial period in India. Since one-paise reduction in petrol-price is totally ineffective for people, oil-companies could rather not implement it to put the so-saved heavy amount in a reserve fund.
Since government is the biggest user of petroleum products, Union Government apart from cutting down its own expenditure should its austerity drive by announcing stiff measures for a drastic cut in consumption of petrol and diesel in the government also to overcome deficit resulting out of varying prices of petroleum products.
- Bigger and smaller sized cars for fixation of dual rate-structure of GST should be done according to ex-factory value rather than length of the car, and any new car at cost of public-exchequer should then be a small car even for heads of nation, legislature, judiciary and bureaucracy.
- Government-loans to its employees including from public-sector should only towards small cars. Even public-sector banks should give car-loans only for small cars
- GST should be applicable on petroleum products to ensure uniform prices throughout the country.
- Large overheads and publicity-budget should be curtailed by merger of all public-sector oil-companies in one unified company.
- Discounts on petrol and diesel purchased by affluent class through credit-cards should be abolished. An RTI response reveals that HPCL encouraged more purchase of petrol and diesel because credit-card users usually get their tanks full by swap of credit-cards.
- New-look translucent LPG cylinders made of fibre-glass ensuring tamperproof full-load supply of LPG gas per cylinders should replace old iron-cylinders with one time replacement-cost rather than charging rupees 300 extra for every re-fill.
- LPG subsidy should only for those with combined monthly family-incomes below say rupees 30000 that too only on submitting affidavits about combined family-income.