SRINAGAR: A Delhi court on Thursday acquitted two Kashmiris, Mohammad Rafiq Shah and Mohammed Hussain Fazili, of all charges in the 2005 Delhi serial blasts saying the prosecution has failed to prove their guilt.
The court, however, sentenced another accused Tariq Ahmed Dar to 10 years of imprisonment. Dar was convicted for the offence punishable under Section 38 (being the member of a terror organisation) and Section 39 (giving support to such outfit) of Unlawful Activities Prevention Act (UAPA).
"The court acquitted two of the three accused in the case and the third one was convicted for unlawful activities," Sushil Bajaj, the lawyer for Fazili, told reporters after the hearing.
"Unless there are any other pending cases against them, the court said they should be released from jail forthwith."
At least 62 people were killed and over 200 injured in three explosions in two markets in central and south Delhi and in a bus in the Govindpuri area on October 29, 2005, two days before Diwali.
Shah, an MA student of Islamic Studies at University of Kashmir – DSW card number: 1231; Department roll number: 8566 - was reportedly in his classroom, when the blasts happened. He was in his final semester of his degree. “Shah completed his degree while he was lodged in central jail Srinagar,” a friend of Shah said.
He was arrested on 22 November, 2005. During his detention, Shah’s two younger sisters were married. “It was mother of Shah who fought his case,” the friend of Shah’s said. His father is a retired government employee, he added. The family belongs to Alastang area of Ganderbal district bordering Srinagar district.
A student leader of banned Kashmir University Students Union (KUSU) said: “up to 2014, we would observe a solidarity day in favour of Rafiq on 22 November to aware new comers about Shah’s case and struggle.”
Farooq Ahmed Batloo and Ghulam Ahmed Khan had earlier pleaded guilty and were let off by the court for the period already undergone by them. Terror funding was the allegation against both these accused.
Three separate cases were registered by Delhi Police’s Special Cell following the blasts. The court had clubbed all the three cases for the purpose of recording of evidence.