Sub Inspector, Militant Killed In Zakura Shootout

Srinagar—A sub-Inspector (SI) of Jammu and Kashmir police was killed while a Special Police Officer (SPO) suffered injuries after militants attacked a police party in Zakura area of Srinagar city.

A militant who was reportedly injured in the shootout and managed to escape, has succumbed to the injuries. The details of the incident, however, are unclear.

Another militant has been reportedly arrested by policemen at the shootout scene, reported a local news agency.

Reports said that two cops were injured in the firing, however, one of the two succumbed to injuries. The Sub Inspector was identified as Imran Ahmad.

The attack took place in the outskirts of Srinagar at Zakura in Hazratbal area, they said.

Quoting official sources, reports said that police cordoned off Zakura area after inputs about the presence of militants.

“As the searches were on near suspected spot, hiding militants opened fire, resulting in injuries to two cops including one sub-inspector,” said the report.

Reports reaching late last night here said a militant hailing from Parimpora area of Srinagar has been killed after sustaining bullet wounds at Zukura this evening in which a police officer also lost his life, local news agency GNS quoted police sources as having said.


“SI had opened fire,” another police officer when contacted, said. “It is possible that Mir might have received a bullet during the Zakura shootout.”

However, the police officer said he is unsure where from his body was recovered. “We are trying to ascertain the details,” he said.

The officer said that had he been with the police, his body would have first gone to the PCR for mandatory autopsy.

The officer identified the slain militant as Mugees Ahmad Mir, son of Abdul Aziz Mir, who hails from Parimpora and was active since many years, had sustained bullet injuries during the shootout at Zakura but had managed to escape.

“We have reports that he had made a call to his family. His body has reached his home and we have started further investigation,” they said.

The officer said that Mugees was presently affiliated with Ansar Ghazwat-ul-Hind led by Zakir Musa.

Within seconds after the rumours, the social media was seen getting hyper-active instantly. There were his live photographs and a video of the commotion with Mir’s body at the focus of scores of cell phones, possibly in Parimpora.

When contacted, a police officer in Parmpora said he does not know where Mir was killed. “There are various versions, one saying that he was killed in Kulgam but I do not know,” he said on phone.

However, Kashmir police chief Munir Khan confirmed that the slain militant was killed in Zakura shootout.

23-year-old  Musa, who after parting ways from Hizbul Mujahideen and subsequently being nominated as the head of the Kashmir unit of Al-Qaeda, sits at the top of a new list of most wanted militants currently operating in the valley.

The engineering dropout appears to have seen an increase in his following after quitting the Hizbul to head the al Qaeda linked group.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.