HC Notice To Govt,Army Officer On Plea By Missing Kupwara Man


Srinagar—The Jammu and Kashmir High Court on Tuesday issued a notice, calling for a reply by state government and an Army Major on a petition, seeking whereabouts of a young man from Kupwara who’s missing since August 31.

A bench of Justice Ramalingam Sudhakar issued the notice returnable within a week to state through Principle Secretary Home Department, Director General of Police and Major Nishint Gupta of 27 RR Trimuk Post Lolab .

The man, Manzoor Ahmad Khan son of Ghulam Qadir Khan of Devar Lolab was last seen August 31 this year when he was alleged taken into custody by army while seeking permission to travel through the area.

Manzoor’s brother, Mohammad Aslam Khan, has filed the plea through advocate Nasir Qadri.

 He has submitted that on August 31 Manzoor went to Bandipora via Devar- Aloosa Road for Livestock marketing along with his uncle Jala-ud-din Khan and paternal aunt Parveena.

He said that on way to Aloosa, the inhabitants of Devar had to cross 27 RR Trimuk Top Camp for entry. “(Manzoor) approached the camp for entry and took identity card of his uncle and paternal aunt for crossing Trimuk post. (He) while making entry was called by the Major Nishint Gupta 27 RR Trimuk Post inside the Camp. The Uncle and paternal Aunt were kept waiting for 2 hours outside the camp and thereafter they approached the concern Army officials to know the whereabouts of Manzoor,” he said, adding, “the Army official of 27 RR Trimuk Post asked the relatives that he will be set free after some time but till evening he was not released.”

He said the relatives while waiting for Manzoor outside the camp of 27RR, witnessed one more same incident where one Nasrullah Khan, who was taken inside the camp by Major of 27 RR. “Nasrullah Khan was later released and handover to his family member with third degree torture, he was not able to walk and was shifted to concern hospital from where he was referred to SKIMS, Soura for advance treatment. The Police in the case has registered FIR 62/2017 Under Section 307,342 & 323 of Police Station Lal pora,” he said.

Aslam said the Army officials in the evening asked the relatives waiting outside the 27 RR camp, that Manzoor has been set free from the other gate and was no more with them.

“The father along with other relative of Manzoor approached the concerned police station and lodged report against the incident. The Police while recording the statements U/S 161,162 Crpc of Jalal-ud-din Khan and Parveena lodged an Case FIR No 63/2017 Under Section 364,342 RPC of Police station Lal Pora,” Aslam Khan said, adding, “(the army Major) have detained (Manzoor) from last 62 days without any authority of law and they are not disclosing his whereabouts, only to perpetuate his agony.” Aslam said army Major be directed to produce Manzoor before the Court and “also to show the power and authority under which (Manzoor) has been detained from August 31 onwards.”

Observer News Service

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.