DSP Lynching Case: Court Rejects Bail Plea of 3 ‘Juveniles’


Srinagar—A court here on Thursday rejected bail plea of three juveniles accused by police of lynching a deputy Superintendent of Police, Mohammad Ayub Pandith, near historic Jamia Masjid in June this year. 

Chief Judicial Magistrate Srinagar, Aijaz Ahmad Khan, rejected the plea after hearing public prosecutor and defence counsel in the case.

The trio (name withheld as envisaged in Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act), all residents of Old city, had moved the bail application through their counsel advocate Mushtaq Ahmad Dar. 

Public prosecutor in opposition to the bail plea pleaded that allegations against the accused trio was grave, serious and heinous in nature.

“The three boys are the main accused in the case as they were the persons who asked the deceased DSP to show his identity card. Their act is so heinous that they don’t deserve the bail,” the Public prosecutor told the court.

He argued that the offence committed by the trio was not accidental as the deceased DSP was first stopped and then assaulted by the mob.

Defence lawyer Mushtaq Ahmad Dar argued in favour of the bail. However after hearing both the sides, the court rejected the bail plea.   

Pandith was allegedly stripped and lynched by the mob near Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta area of old Srinagar on the night of Shab-e-Qadar, triggering an outrage in Kashmir.

The deceased was allegedly making a video of stone pelting by locals, and objecting to this, the violent mob attacked him. Ayub opened fire through his service pistol in his own defence.

According to Police, The DSP was posted at the access control of the mosque to prevent “miscreants” from vitiating the atmosphere so that people can offer prayers in peace.

An FIR (First Information report) 51/2017 was registered in police station Nowhatta.

The J&K Police then constituted a special investigation team (SIT), headed by Superintendent of Police Sajjad Shah for a speedy investigation into killing. 

While talking to Kashmir Observer the SSP said, “So far 20 people have been arrested and investigation is still going on and more arrests are to be made” adding that they ‘’have not produced the challan before the court yet as it can be submitted 90 days after the crime’’

The three Juveniles are presently lodges in Juvenile Home in Harwan, Srinagar.

Earlier while addressing the press conference IGP Kashmir Muneer Khan said, one accused in the lynching case was killed in an encounter in Budgam on 12 July.

The police said Sajad Ahmed Gilkar joined the militancy few days after the lynching of the DSP.

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.