Strike Paralyses Normal Life Across Kashmir


Srinagar— Amid a complete shutdown called by Joint Resistance leadership, August 15 functions across Kashmir passed off peacefully while Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) were used for surveillance in and around Bakhshi Stadium, the venue for official function.

Markets in Srinagar and other major towns remained closed while vehicular traffic was off the roads. Only police, paramilitary and Army vehicles were plying on the deserted roads of Kashmir.

Reports said that a complete shutdown was observed in all the districts of Central, South and North Kashmir.

To ensure the peaceful function at Bakhshi Stadium Srinagar, Close Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras were used to monitor the movement of people and sleuths of Special Security Guards (SSGs) monitored the activities of the participants with binoculars on high rise buildings around the stadium while sharp shooters kept their fingers on triggers.

During the August 15 function at Bakshi Stadium, drone hovered over the area and its movement was being controlled from Police Control Room (PCR) Srinagar.


Heavy contingents of police and paramilitary forces were deployed outside the stadium and were witnessed carrying out patrolling of the deserted streets around the stadium and of other roads of Srinagar.

In old Srinagar, armoured vehicles were on standby at most road junctions and large number of forces were deployed to thwart any anti-India protest demonstration.

Police said that they had laid additional nakas to thwart ‘any effort to disrupt peace’ at scores of places in Srinagar and other towns of Kashmir. Heavy deployment of forces was witnessed at scores of places in Srinagar that included Khanyar, Nowhatta, Bohri Kadal, Hawal, Rajouri Kadal, and Eidgah. The deployment of forces was also witnessed in sensitive areas of civil lines.

Commercial hub Lal Chowk was put out of limits for public since early Tuesday morning and the roads leading to the area were sealed at many places with razor wire and armoured vehicles. However, a non-local woman managed to breech security ring and chanted pro-India slogans like Bharat Mata Ki Jai for some time at deserted Lal Chowk.


The situation in South Kashmir remained peaceful.In Anantnag, Pulwama and Shopian August 15 celebrations culminated on a peaceful note.

In North Kashmir’s Bandipora, Baramulla, Sopore, Kupwara and Handwara towns there was complete shut down but there was no report of any violence.

Almost all the separatist leaders were either placed under house arrest or detained in different police stations across Kashmir.

A police officer later said that the day passed off peacefully across Kashmir.

Mobile, internet services suspended for 5 hours

As usual authorities Tuesday suspended mobile phone services temporarily across Kashmir Valley as a precautionary measure to prevent militants from using these devices to carry out any subversive activities.

Cell phones and mobile Internet services were snapped on Tuesday morning in wake of the Aug 15 celebrations but the services were restored soon after the culmination of official functions.

However, the internet service continues to be shut in South Kashmir’s Pulwama and  Shopian districts and parts of Central Kashmir’s Budgam district.

Three militants including the Hizb commander hailing from Nagam Chadoora area of Budgam were killed in a gunfight at Awneera Shopian on Sunday. (CNS)

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.