KabulThe death toll in Tuesday nights bombing at the Jawadia Mosque in Bekr Abad area in Herat city has risen to 29, officials confirmed.
Herat officials said in addition to those killed, over 60 people were wounded in the attack.
According to them, a suicide bomber opened fire on worshipers inside the mosque before detonating his explosives.
Herats governor Mohammad Asif Rahimi condemned the attack and said that the people of Herat would stand united against the enemy.
He also ordered security forces to track down those who planned the attack and to ensure justice is served.
Officials initially said two attackers had been involved in the incident, but in a statement issued by the governor, he said only one had been involved.
President Ashraf Ghani also condemned the attack and said insurgents would not succeed in fueling sectarian wars in the country by conducting such attacks.
Be Part of Quality Journalism
Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.