Student Protests Show No Signs of Abating


Srinagar: Heavy handed police approach has failed to curb student protestes which are continuing across Kashmir, albeit with less ferocity. On Tuesday police again lobbed tear-smoke shells and resorted to cane charge the moment groups of students assembled to take out protest marches in many towns and cities including capital Srinagar resulting in street clashes.

Large number of students from SP Higher Secondary School and Government College for Women, MA Road in the city tried to take out a march but police forced upon them by resorting to cane charge and tear smoke shelling. The agitating students resorted to stone-pelting and clashed with police which was backed by paramilitary CRPF. The clashes disrupted vehicular movement on busy Maulana Azad Road for several hours.

Students and shopkeepers alleged that police manhandled female students while some of the shopkeepers entered into argument with some policemen after a cop allegedly hit a girl student. Reports said that police lobbed tear-smoke shells inside Government College for Women where a large number of students were trapped.


Witnesses told CNS that police detained at least four students, including a female student during the clashes. One student who was capturing the clashes on cell phone was apprehended while another student present outside Women’s College was also picked up. Two more students were dragged out from Soura bound vehicle and shifted to nearby police station.

On Exchange road passersby joined students and resorted to stone-pelting on police.

Due to clashes, chaos and confusion prevailed in city centre for a long time. Witnesses said that many students were wounded during clashes.

Student protest was also reported from South Kashmir’s Pulwama district that turned violent after government forces tried to stop it. CNS quoting eyewitnesses reported that a couple of students were wounded after armed police fired tear-smoke shells at the students.

Meanwhile, the Budgam district administration on Tuesday ordered the suspension of class work in two schools following Monday clashes.

Officials said that the class work remained suspended on Tuesday at Govt Boys High School and Higher Secondary School Budgam.

The student unrest in Kashmir valley was triggered by police crackdown on Govt Degree College, Pulwama on April 15.

On Monday clashes amid protests were reported from many places including Srinagar, Handwara, Newa Pulwama, Budgam and Tral.

Government also on Monday had ordered the closure of three schools in Handwara. With inputs from CNS

Be Part of Quality Journalism

Quality journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce and despite all the hardships we still do it. Our reporters and editors are working overtime in Kashmir and beyond to cover what you care about, break big stories, and expose injustices that can change lives. Today more people are reading Kashmir Observer than ever, but only a handful are paying while advertising revenues are falling fast.



Observer News Service

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.